Wiki Coder Productivity

jsukaran

New
Best answers
Hi, I'm looking to see if I could get some insight on coder productivity in an Oncology/Hematology outpatient group practice setting. About how many charts should a coder complete per hour?

It's really difficult to answer this because workflows and EHRs vary by health system. You may have to do your own analysis--are they coding E&Ms, infusions, consultations? Each of those requires a review of different clinical criteria. Are they expected to abstract all diagnosis codes documented in the encounter (including chronic conditions?). Is all of the chart information in one place, or do your coders have to look in more than one application? Are they using an encoder, or books? Are the coders also going to be expected to meet a certain accuracy percentage? If so, then productivity might need to be less. How long, on average is it taking now? Remember to factor in breaks, meals, meetings and other non-productive time like emails. In a hospital I worked at recently, the coders were expected to code 6-8 accounts per hour, but they had to go into a different and clunky application, abstract all diags, and validate orders for infusions.

Totally agree with Pam that this can vary greatly depending on what they are coding and the various systems being used. I've seen this type of question posted periodically in the forums, and there is never an exact answer. I've heard of radiology coders expected to code 100 per day.
If just E/M, I would expect somewhere around 10-15/hour. Infusions would clearly take a bit longer.
While my staff does not have exact requirements, I would give a ballpark of coding 50-80 outpatient visits in an 8 hour shift (allowing for other daily work). If they are coding inpatient, it takes longer due to using 2 additional computer systems.