Wiki Coder Productivity

28 coders - 150+ providers - all specialties

Our goal is 24 claims per day (8 hours). This includes coding from reports, obtaining reports, clarifying with physicians, and difficult coding questions. It all depends upon your specialty. Afterall, one would expect a neurosurgical claim to take longer than a cataract claim, etc.

I'm looking for number of coders per billing providers. Did you get any staffing numbers?

I just recently started at a local hospital, ER coding. I was told 94 - 125 per day. I thought that was overwhelming, since I just started in the field and still learning the 3M software. They code almost everything the doc. writes on the sheet, including hx of anxiety or depression, even if the patient came in for a broken leg. They said they want to cover medical necessity. I didn't think that would apply in ER coding. Any insight on this ? :confused:
Thanks,
Deb M, CPC
I have coded for 15 years and a lot of that was ER. The only reason you would code the anxiety is if the physician linked it to the current visit. Broke foot while pacing up and down stairs due to anxiety attach due to noncompliance of medications. then there would be cause . I fhtere is no cause you could be up codeing

I code for general, vascular, and thoracic surgeons. I am the only coder and code eevrything they do. We have three surgeons in the office and I have no productivity or error rate standards that I have to meet.
Of course everyday is different and since my docs do some surgeries in the office and then some at the hospital I never know what I'm going to be coding from day to day. Sometimes they assist physicians of other specialties at the hospital and sometimes they are just stabilizing a patient for transport to a larger hospital.
Some days I code 150 charts (many of which have multiple DOS and procedures) and some days when transcription is on the ball the day before I have nothing to code.
The types of things I code range from office/hospital E/M, simple colonoscopies, lap chole's, EGD's, I&D's, and lesion removals to pacemaker placements, angioplasties, colectomies. It really runs the gamut of the CPT.
I code from dictation and the OP notes. On our office encounter sheets the docs circle the E/M they feel is correct but sometimes if the documentation just isn't there I do change it. All of my coding is done with the books. I do not have an encoder or anything like that but since I have only been coding for a little over two years I do think having to rely so much on the books (and Google in a pinch for clarification and help) has really been beneficial to me.
I also assist the insurance department with denials. That has also helped me a great deal;)

I am also interested in determing if coding is your only responsibility. I work in a large academic institution and each of our specialities are set up as if it were a private practice. We have a division that treats infants at their birthing hospitals. They are responsible for obtaining the demographic data, registering the patient, and entering the charges. They also are responsible for charge entry for our on-site nicu. As time permits they are involved in follow up collection efforts. They generate approximately 89,000 charges a year.
The department's business director is trying to determine for a practice this size if they are staffed appropriately.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, JT

I am new to this sort of thing, I have been reading the post about coder productivity and I amwondering, all these post are they for a group of coders or for only one coder. I have enjoyed reading the different replies to the orginal question, but it does get confusing.
Diana

I know you posted this along time ago but I was wondering if anyone ever responded to your question. Impossible to code out 50 an hour of EM when you are actually reading
the documentation and abstracting to determine the CPT and ICD-9. Just my opinion

Hi everyone - I'm seeking information that discusses the metrics for outpatient rehab and outpatient wound clinic coding - no other duties (billing etc) just coding the new accounts, doing concurrent interim coding and final coding. Any insight on that? I have a staffing matrix that I need to build and can't seem to come up with consistent numbers. Appreciate the help!