Wiki Coding diagnosis from EKG

a.renee86

Networker
Best answers
We are having a debate in my office. We have 2 doctors that read EKGs for the hospital, we charge their professional fee. With ICD-10, we are having to request coding attestations from the hosptial in order to code to the most specific diagnosis. My office manager wants to know why we can't code diagnosis from the EKG is self, I tried explaining to her that it is a machine or technician entering that and not a practitioner, therefore, not applicable. Now, if the MD signs off on the EKG stating he agrees with the interpretation done by the machine or technician, can that be justifiably coded and billed for?? I appreciate any help you may have to offer!!!

Hi,
I understand what you're saying about machines. However there are a lot of automated instruments that the phys. relies on then signs off. Mammograms, are one example. I've been coding from the findings on the ekg for about 2 years now. There's always some form of "machine" used, and interpreted.
Now lab results are another matter although automated, they are not signed off by the pathologist.