Wiki Coding Global Period

LLRodgers

Best answers
Hello,

When we have a office visit for right knee arthroplasty in a global period we code it as follows:

Z98.890

Is it okay to add z96.651 with the above codes?

Thank you,
LLR

Last edited by a moderator:
Z98.890 would be incorrect because is a status code, not a reason for visit code; I would use Z47.1 instead.

Z96.651 is correct (and required) as a secondary code, as instructed in the note accompanying Z47.1 in ICD-10.

Of course, unless you are submitting these no-charge visits to a payer, it would not really matter because you wouldn't be actually billing a claim.

Thank you very much for setting me straight on this one it is very much appreciated.

I it is in the global period and a right knee arthroscopy would I code the Z47.1 and the diagnosis code reason for the surgery (ex: fx leg) and then 99024

Thank You Again for the help!
LLR

Thank you very much for setting me straight on this one it is very much appreciated.

I it is in the global period and a right knee arthroscopy would I code the Z47.1 and the diagnosis code reason for the surgery (ex: fx leg) and then 99024

Thank You Again for the help!
LLR

Your first post said arthroplasty, not arthroscopy. Z47.1 is only for joint replacement surgery.

You would not use the Z47 category of codes for fractures because there is an excludes note there that states "aftercare for healing fracture-code to fracture with 7th character D". So for a follow-up after surgery for fracture, you would use the subsequent encounter fracture diagnosis codes instead of a Z codes as your primary reason for visit. Just follow your ICD-10 book's guidelines.