Wiki Coding Port Draw for blood collection for labs

shancoughlin

Best answers
Right now we do not bill anything for blood collection for labs when that blood is drawn from a port. I work in Oncology and Hematology and we have a lab onsite. When patients come in for lab work only (no office visit or treatment of any kind) and we draw the blood from the port, is there anything we can bill for the blood draw and/or the port flush? I know we cannot bill the 96523 with labs. Thank you for your responses.

36591 Collection of blood specimen from a completely implantable venous access device

36592 Collection of blood specimen using established central or peripheral venous catheter

CPT codes 36591 and 36592 are eligible for separate reimbursement only under very limited and specific circumstances. 36591 or 36592 will be denied when reported in conjunction with other non-laboratory services and may not be submitted in combination with chemotherapy services. The collection of the blood sample is included in the reimbursement for the chemotherapy administration service, and may not be separately reported on the claim. This limitation applies to both the professional services and facility claims.

36415, Collection of venous blood by venipuncture) and recommends a port flush, you can only report it if it is the only "physician" service provided on that day

Than you so much for your response. Just so I understand, you are billing a venipuncture even though it is not through the skin - it is through the port? When I asked about that, the nurses thought that would be incorrect, but I thought that it is a puncture, just through the port. Have you had any issue getting paid?