Wiki Coding shortening of finger

codedog

True Blue
Best answers
How would someone code shortening of finger, disarticulation of pip joint, and intrasseous placement of digital neves . help stuck on this one :confused:

Finger

Patient had a traumatic amputation of ther pulp of their little finger which was replaced by ER . It was elected to do a shortening of the finger rather than do a cross finger flap.
Patient had a fish mouth incision planned and it was incised down to the skin and sub tissues. The neurovascular bundles were identified distally and traced out distally. tThE finger was then disarticulated through the collateral ligaments, the extensor tendon and profunds tendon and then he drill a hole two mm through the distal phalanx. The digital nerves were advanced from side to side with a pull up suture and 4-0 chromic. Prior to placing the nerves, the cartilage was removed as well as the condyle. -4-0 sutures were used to close skin .

hey trent - you'd look under amputation, (because that's what they really were doing), yes - they were shortening it, but they had to amputate part. It looks like the code range 26910-26952 should be the area you need to look at. I'd check the coders desk reference to be sure. Also note, the extra codes for repair of soft tissue defect if applicable.
{that's my my opinion on the posted matter}