Wiki Coding Software

serhaug

Networker
Best answers
I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations regarding coding software (i.e. what others are using, pluses and minuses to the software, etc.)

Thanks in advance for all your opinions/suggestions.
Serine

I use Encoder Pro (the online version so that its always up to date and no waiting for a disc in the mail and have to upgrade myself). I think its awesome and paid extra for the CPT assistant. It is kind of spendy includes EVERYTHING (HCPCS, LCD's, CCI Edits, lay descriptions, modifiers, dx crosscoder, RVU's, instructions, images)

The pitfall: searching for things sometimes can be a bit tricky. There are procedures that I know there are codes for but when I use the search engine it doesnt pull up what I am looking for, thus causing me to break out the good ole reliable book. Over the past few years I've been able to overcome this pitfall due to the experience using it.

Encoder Pro Professional Edition, Code Manager, TruCode and Mediregs are some useful softwares to help coding boost. I prefer to use Encoder Pro cos it has all the things a coder need as mbort mentioned above.

Thank You.

I am a remote coder, can I purchase Encoder Pro without belonging to a healthcare organization, such as a hospital or clinic? Also, does Encoder Pro update yearly like the coding manuals, or do I have to purchase it yearly? I also noticed that Encoder Pro was kind of expensive, has anyone used one of the lower priced versions of Encoder Pro?

yes you can purchase Encoder without being part of a healthcare organization. It does require renewal on a yearly basis. I did find out on renewal last month that you can now pay for it on a monthly basis through Ingenix. I beleive they quoted me $79.95 a month. I've never used anything but the pro version because its phenominal in that it truly does have everything a coder needs. (I still recommend have at minimal the CPT code book for those "hard to find" procedures")

3M coding software is great. One good thing about it is you can search through any old Coding Clinics and CPT Assistants by subject. Also it frequently will refer you to specific one that you may need when decideing on a code. It's updated every quarter. Couldn't tell you about pricing or whether or not its available to individuals.