Wiki Coding Telemedicine

asolis84

New
Best answers
I work in an FQHC facility. A couple of our Dr's use a synchronous method. We are the originating site. I heard FQ's can't bill for telemedicine or do we need to use a GT modifier? Or should we just drop the CPT codes like normal and add Q3014?

If you are the originating site then you bill only the originating site code the distance provider bills the E/M with the 02 POS. If your provider also evaluates the patient then you would need to bill that as an on-site service. I am not sure if a Modifier is called for.

It's really complicated. Our optometrist does a vision exam for out patient. Then sets up a telemedicine visit with an ophthalmologist at a distant site. But that ophthalmologist is paid by our clinic. It is very confusing. So we have an E/M code 99202 and 92060 dropped by the ophthalmologist and a 99173 from the optometrist. So I was thinking the coding should look something like this:

99202-25
Q3014

I'm not sure this is correct.

These should not be on the same claim. The location address is different and the POS is different. You must use the physical address on the claim that corresponds to the address of where the service was rendered. So in this case you need two claims. One for the on site service with the onsite address. The other claim will have the address of the location of the distance provider with the 02 for the place of service.
The 99202 is an approved service for telehealth , however the 92060 is not a service that is allowed to be performed via telehealth it must be a face to face service.
the FQHC is an approved originating site so there is no problem there.