Wiki Coding ultrasound procedures for home health patients

AmBaseer

Best answers
I work for a portable ultrasound and X-ray provider serving Medicare patients who are home bound or in Assisted living facilities. Our claims are being denied by Blue Cross as "Service not compatible with place of service". We bill CPT codes like 76700, 76705, 93306 with place of service code 13 or 12 and we bill the global service without modifier as we do both the 26 and TC. They say it is inappropriate per CMC policy and AMA guidelines for CPT coding and to " Refer to the 835Healthcare Policy Identification Segment (loop 2110 Service Payment Information REF), if present". We don't have any problems billing these to Medicare in the same manner and in fact a representative at Medicare I spoke to said they should not be denying these. Blue Cross used to at least accept disputes before and sometimes pay but now won't even allow a dispute. Is there any different way to code these procedures? I'd appreciate any help !

I am wondering if Blue Cross wants the Mobile Unit pos code (15) instead of the more specific codes 12 or 13. I looked in the policy section of the website but couldn't find anything: https://www.anthem.com/provider/policies/
I've tried to look for something too but can't find anything in their policies nor the medicare policies. I'll give 15 a shot , bill a couple with that and see what happens. Thanks!