Wiki Confused

Gemini18

Expert
Best answers
I'm having a problem, don't know if any of you have come across this situation.

I see a couple of my physicians who dictations do not match with the date of service.

For instance:

Pt is admitted on 8/11/08, Dr. bills for 8/11/08 but dictation is dated 8/12/08.

Hopefully you have open communication with your Doctor to ask him to verify the date he actually saw the patient. Maybe he is putting down the date he dictated instead of the date he saw/treated the patient? If you ask him to verify the date he saw patient then he can correct the date on dictation if needed. Good luck!
Jenna

I have had this issue with some of my providers. A few times it was a transcription error, nothing to do with the doctor.

Then I found out we had a couple of peds providers that were billing newborns on the date of birth even though they didn't come in until the next day, I have seen the same thing happen with the general admits. They think it has to be billed the same day as the hospital listed as the admit, which is incorrect. It should be billed on the date that it happened.

This is probably an education issue if you are seeing it over and over in a few providers. I would go back to them with examples so you can pinpoint the reason and then get steps put in place to fix it.

Laura, CPC