Wiki Confusion re: HealthCon

khristinelouise

Networker
Best answers
Does anybody know what is going on re: meals at HealthCon? I have tried calling AAPC and Disney and nobody seems to know. On the Employer Justification letter it says all meals are included but Disney says they have no info. I am trying to figure out if I need to purchase a mealplan for my husband in addition to the 95.00 guestpass and also if I need to make dinner reservations. If anyone out there has info they can share I would appreciate it.

Does anybody know what is going on re: meals at HealthCon? I have tried calling AAPC and Disney and nobody seems to know. On the Employer Justification letter it says all meals are included but Disney says they have no info. I am trying to figure out if I need to purchase a mealplan for my husband in addition to the 95.00 guestpass and also if I need to make dinner reservations. If anyone out there has info they can share I would appreciate it.

I am not going to HealthCon this year so I am not sure if things have changed but in my past conference experiences a continental type breakfast is provided and some kind of lunch buffet has been served. Dinner was our responsibility. Breakfast and lunch for guests required a meal plan.

If I were you I would call the AAPC. There should be a phone option for conference questions and they can fill you in on what you will need to do for yourself and hubby.

I hope this helps :) Emily

Meals at Conference

Traditionally, breakfast and lunch are covered Monday and Tuesday and then there is a luncheon on Wednesday with a presentation that counts toward CEUs that you select as part of your schedule. Since AAPC does not sponsor the meals, vendors usually do it is my understanding that AAPC is not involved with what is served, it is up to the vendor to decide what they want to serve. I have gone to every national conference since 2010. I know that provisions can be made by the facilities for people with special needs, even if the menu doesn't call for it. People who require gluten-free or diabetic meals have always been accommodated by the facilities, you just have to let one of the staff know. Over the last few years I have seen more box lunches or a variety of salads for lunches. Breakfast has ranged from full course all the way to cold cereal and pastries. Drinks are always provided and available throughout the day (water in the meeting rooms) and drinks (tea/coffee and sodas during meals and break times).

Breakfast and lunch is served Monday and Tuesday and is included in the price of the conference. Luncheon on Wednesday is included in conference. Any quest would have to buy a pass for those days. Hope this helps some. When you sign up for the conference it should as if you want to purchase food for guest.

I'm a Disney guru, so here's some information I've used over the years. Coronado Springs resort does have sitdown restaurants and a cafeteria-style restaurant for those meals not covered by conference. But they will be jam packed during our conference. I believe all rooms have a refrigerator, if you have the ability to bring fruit or snacks with you. Food on Disney can be expensive, but when you get your Disney confirmation number for your hotel, did you know that you can ship yourself a package in advance? I have done this when we stayed at the Fort Wilderness cabins, and I sent down coffee, instant oatmeal, and non-perishable snacks. (I have to fly....if you drive, you can certainly bring your own food). I find Downtown Disney to be one of the the least expensive places for food (I recommend Earl of Sandwich) but you can go onto the Disney website, and search the restaurants by price and by location. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/ If you have a car, off-property restaurants are available, but there's a lot to be said for the fun meals at Disney. Also...the parks can get expensive, but you can eat at ANY resort. They all have restaurants (subject to availability, you may need to call for reservations). You can use the Disney transportation system to get to any of them. Take the bus to any park (the first one that shows up), then from there, transfer to the resort of your choice. I recommend Boatwright's Dining Hall at Port Orleans Riverside or Olivia's Cafe at Key West Resort.

Thanks Pam for your help. I did go ahead and make reservations for meals but I have to admit it really bothered me that I used the employer justification letter that AAPC created to get this trip approved which says all meals are provided and now I have to go back to my boss and say oops no they're not can I have more money please....

What meals are included

HEALTHCON will have a welcome reception that has appetizers served. On Monday and Tuesday, there is a light breakfast and lunch served each day in the Exhibit Hall. On Wednesday, there is a lunch, but you have to select what lunch you would like and have a ticket for the event. There is not an additional fee; you just have to be registered for the event. The guest pass allows your guest to attend the general sessions and enter exhibit hall events. There are no dinners provided. You cannot add the Disney meal plan to the discounted AAPC hotel room unfortunately. Once the meals have been selected, we will post them online. I hope this helps; see you in Orlando! Melanie

The meals last year in Vegas were an absolute joke. We went to the welcome reception 30 minutes after it started and everything but a couple of desserts were gone. The lunches people were leaving the sessions early to get in line because it was an absolute mess. I would plan something else for all meals.

Hi all, Please keep in mind that the Conference Team at AAPC works SUPER hard to assure that everyone's experience is A+. Unfortunately, the venue and/or other attendees make it a little difficult for a seamless time. Please lets give credit where credit is due. I could not imagine trying to plan a conference for over 2000 attendees. There is ALWAYS going to be a hiccup here and there. We look forward to seeing you all in Orlando and Pam... GREAT ADVICE!!

@khristinelouise Even if the dining plan could've been added it wouldn't have been worth it for you. You have to add it for all parties in your reservation and you wouldn't have had as much access to thoroughly enjoy it. There are a lot of lovely restaurants to book for dinner, just allow time for transportation if you aren't driving a car down there. We went to the All Star Movies cafeteria for one of our dinners and it has a ton of variety. If you're relying on the bus system, you can bus from Coronado Springs directly to parks (if you don't want to bus to Disney Springs) and transfer to other resorts from there.