Wiki Conscious Sedation Question

dzanoni

Best answers
My doctor has started doing his own arteriograms and wants to charge for conscious sedation. After getting more detail from him, a nurse starts the IV and gives the drugs per his order and he supervises. I've never coded for this before and need to know if the conscious sedation code of 99144 would work. There is no pricing for it on the Medicare fee schedule and after further research it would appear that even if there is a code for it, they won't cover it. Does anyone out there code for this? If so, would you feel like sharing that information with me? I would greatly appreciate any comments on this subject.

Thanks in advance!:confused:

The CPT codes 99143-99150 are in my (Nebraska) Medicare fee schedule. While I don't routinely bill these services they have been covered services by Medicare in the past. Make sure the CPT code you're billing the sedation for does not include conscious sedation. Those codes are indicated in the CPT with conscious sedation symbol. Also, Appendix G in the CPT has a list of the codes that include conscious sedation.

Julie, CPC

Conscious/Moderate Sedation Question

The reason you cannot find pricing for moderate (conscious) sedation codes 99143-99150 on the physician fee schedule is because they are carrier-priced. If the carrier needs documentation before they can price the service, then they do not publish the carrier-prices on their web-site under carrier-priced codes.

The Florida Medicare Part B carrier published a pretty extensive article on this subject back in October of 2007. If you contact me offline I will forward the article to you.

Regards,

Maryann Palmeter, CPC, CENTC
maryann.palmeter@jax.ufl.edu