Wiki consult

charonate

Networker
Best answers
Patient was seen at the hospital for a consultation. Now patient is seen by the same consultating physician in the office, can I bill for office consultation.

Thank you,

need to bill established patient visit

Hi,

Once your physician sees a patient in the hospital on a consult or a hospital visit, the patient is no longer a new patient. To consider another consult, the primary care doctor/family doctor would have to "request" typically in writing another "consult" for an opinion. If your physician is performing a follow up visit for the condition he had consulted the patient on in the hospital, then he should bill an established patient visit only.

Remember consults have to be requested by another physician for an opinion, requires a letter back to the requesting physician, there must be documentation in the patient's chart stating there was a request for the consult. If a patient requests a consult you must code an establishe patient if the physician saw the patient in the hospital.

I hope this helps you.

pkulczycki

Patient was seen at the hospital for a consultation. Now patient is seen by the same consultating physician in the office, can I bill for office consultation.

Thank you,

No you may not....Patient was already seen in hospital as a consult...Now you would bill pt as an establish pt.....

Hope this helps....

YTH, CPC

As long as a service meets the official documentation requirement of 3R's, it can be billed as a consult, no matter how many times you see a patient earlier.