Wiki Consultation RE: Travel meds / vaccines

bhaskins1

Networker
Best answers
I have an 18 yr old pt who met with our Dr. to discuss an upcoming trip to Africa and what Medications / Vaccines he may need to prepare for the trip. This is an established patient and the consult was initiated by the patient. I am thinking 99213 based on time but need help with the diagnosis code.

We use 99401-99402 for these kind of visits, as it is really a preventive medicine counseling visit. We use ICD-9 V65.49. No, insurance doesn't pay but they won't pay a 99213 with that ICD-9, either...

Travel Consults

Can a nurse perform and bill for travel consult codes 99401-99406 and bill these under the provider's number. In the CPT manual it states physician or other qualified healthcare profesional.

Thank you in advance.

We do have nurses perform this service as do a lot of other travel clinics nationally that we've talked to. Medicare doesn't really take a stand on it because it's not a service they cover. The visits are performed "incident to" and there is always a physician in the office at the time.

I have an 18 yr old pt who met with our Dr. to discuss an upcoming trip to Africa and what Medications / Vaccines he may need to prepare for the trip. This is an established patient and the consult was initiated by the patient. I am thinking 99213 based on time but need help with the diagnosis code.

If there is an exam involved then we use V70.3 for exam and vaccination we use V07.8 with E/M 9921X

V07.8 is a prophylactic code for estrogen receptors and levels, don't think that would work.

It is acutally AFTER the estrogen section. We use V07.8 at our office for travel pre-medication also. Not always covered but we have had some luck.