Wiki Consultation with parent

dmetz

Best answers
A parent came in and used up an appointment time to discuss their child with the Pediatrition. Child was not there. Can he bill for this?

dmetz

A parent came in and used up an appointment time to discuss their child with the Pediatrition. Child was not there. Can he bill for this?

dmetz

I don't have my CPT with me, but I know there's a section on non face-to-face physician services - check there, and in the miscellaneous physician services in the back of the medicine section to see if you can find something that fits.

According the CPT manual for E/M clinic services (eg, 99213), "Physicians typically spend XX minutes face-to-face with the patient and/or family". As long as the discussion is related to the child's condition and care, the provider may bill the E/M based on time (due to the fact that more than 1/2 the visit would be spent in counseling) as long as he/she documents that time in the note. I would recommend using code V65.19 - other person consulting on behalf of another person as an additional diagnosis code.

Parent = patient

This is more frequently used in pediatrics because a minor child is not considered qualified to assist with medical decision making, so in essence the parent IS the patient.

I would not include the V65.19.

I would bill the visit based on time spent in counseling/coordination of care.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC