Wiki CPC-A vs CCA?

semaxwell1

Best answers
Sorry if this topic has already been posted on this forum. If it has been, please post the link to the original thread.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the CPC-A vs CCA, and which certification is in higher demand, which one is most recognized by employers?

I know that it basically boils down to the employer's choice, and location is also a huge factor. Or is it just a matter of seeing what certification appears the most when searching for coding jobs and their requirements? :confused:

Also, are CCAs having as much a difficult time finding jobs as CPC-As are having? I can't seem to find the AHIMA forum to see what people are saying about that, or does AHIMA even have a forum?

CPC-a VCCA

Sorry if this topic has already been posted on this forum. If it has been, please post the link to the original thread.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the CPC-A vs CCA, and which certification is in higher demand, which one is most recognized by employers?

I know that it basically boils down to the employer's choice, and location is also a huge factor. Or is it just a matter of seeing what certification appears the most when searching for coding jobs and their requirements? :confused:

Also, are CCAs having as much a difficult time finding jobs as CPC-As are having? I can't seem to find the AHIMA forum to see what people are saying about that, or does AHIMA even have a forum?

I got my first coding job three years ago by having the CCA. It is a highly regarded certification (it has been recognized by some leading accreditiation organization but can't remember which one), and gives a really good foundation in both physician and hospital coding. I guess I would have had as good a chance with CPC-a though. I have 25 years experience in a clinical setting which I think is what landed me the job, regardless of certification.

Andy.
CPC,CCA,CANPC

CPC-A or CCA

I got my first coding job three years ago by having the CCA. It is a highly regarded certification (it has been recognized by some leading accreditation organization but can't remember which one), and gives a really good foundation in both physician and hospital coding. I guess I would have had as good a chance with CPC-A though. I have 25 years experience in a clinical setting which I think is what landed me the job, regardless of certification.

Andy.
CPC,CCA,CANPC

CPC-a at a disadvantage

Not every CPC program includes coursework in DRG's and the UB-40. Most hospitals won't look at you without this background.

It comes down to where you wish to work. There are hospitals that hire CCAs, but I've also seen ads for health department (municipal goverment) jobs that prefer the CCA, though that particular job was certainly entry-level.

Too, the CPC focuses only physician. If that's where you want to be, I'm not sure the CCA will serve you as well the CPC.

I have failed my cpc twice. 66% and 62%. Based on my research the test for CCA might be better for me since i struggle with the questions being so much physician based. Suggestions?

I have failed my cpc twice. 66% and 62%. Based on my research the test for CCA might be better for me since i struggle with the questions being so much physician based. Suggestions?
I'm fairly new to the medical field. I took the test for the CCA exam 2 years ago & passed on my first try. The CPC exam however was a lot more difficult. I didn't pass until the 4th time & got a 72. I personally think they are both worth it because you will learn a lot. The CCA exam has some inpatient questions while the CPC is more focused on guidelines. I felt what helped me pass the CPC exam was retaking a lot of the quizzes in the remote learning course (if you purchased it) otherwise the practice exams that are offered on the CPC website (for a fee) are extremely helpful. That is only my opinion.