Wiki Cpc-a

chriskhans

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
There has been some debate in our office as to weather a CPC-A needs to have all of their coding signed off and reviewed by a CPC or if they are aloud to code alone. Any advice on this topic would be appreciated.
Thank you

I think that would be up to the individual supervisor. When I was a CPC-A, I was allowed to code without having a CPC or my supervisor (who was a CCS) check behind me. I've honestly never heard of that before. Again, I think it's the personal peference of the supervisor.
Sorry I didn't give a definitive answer on this one but I hope this helps nevertheless.

I have a CPC-H-A working for me who passed her test about 6 months ago. I do not review her coding unless she has specific questions on charts or does not feel comfortable with how a diagnosis code looks. We have chart audits on where a certain percentage of each coders charts are pulled and reviewed for accuracy and I feel this is suffecient for reviewing her coding. I do know of fellow coders who have told me that while having an apprentice status their coding was reviewed by their supervisor 100% so I think it depends on the supervisor and the level of knowledge the coder has.