Wiki CPC Exam Scores - Does anyone know what percentage is needed

Im confused -_-

Do I need to pass 70% on each section of the test or overall??? 2 years ago it was overall...is it still the same????

Do I need to pass 70% on each section of the test or overall??? 2 years ago it was overall...is it still the same????

Today you need to get a 70% overall for all 150 questions. They all count the same. You can get any 45 wrong of the 150 and still pass with a 70%. I could not find this info on the AAPC website, but Laureen Jandroep checks every year to get the latest information and that is what she was told by AAPC for 2013. Years ago, you needed to get 70% in each section of the exam, but this is not the case now. (FYI, Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-H, CPC-I, CMSCS, CHCI, CPPM, creates Blitz Review Videos every year to help students prepare for the CPC exam.)

Failed exam

i recently took my exam and scored 68% over all. is is passing 70% over all or per section?
thanks

Score

HI everyone I take the CPC exam Saturday Dec.7, and I would like to know what score you have to make to pass the exam.

Thank U :confused:

hello Angela,

please send me some test preps what ever you have that can assist me on preparing for my cpc certification, I will take the exam on 12/14/13, and really need to have more question to practise. Thanks a lot!

my email is maggieorwang@gmail.com

hortonmary98@yahoo.com

I took my certification exam on Oct,23,2013 I am trying to get the results of that exam I am trying to get the results of that exam. I'm a nervous wreck waiting to see if I passed it.
Thank You
Mary Horton

CPC Exam

I took the CPC exam today and didn't finish. What's the chance of passing? I can't believe I didn't finish, the questions were so hard and I was taking my time. I don't think I complete any of the questions on HCPCS. Would that make me fail?

I took my CPC exam today also. How did you find the questions? They were very hard to me and left 12 unanswered. Guess we will know in 5 days if we pass or not.

Today was my 3rd time taking the CPC exam. The first two times, I didn't have tabs which slowed me down and I wasn't able to complete the exam and had to fill in a lot of my answers. Therefore, this time I put tabs in all of my books, wrote notes inside of my books, and I did the practice test more than once....with that being said I was able to complete the exam and I feel confident that I passed. Because lord knows, I really don't want to sit for a 4th exam my brain hurts too much from the constant studying! So good luck to everyone that's taking the CPC exam. :)

How to pass the CPC exam

Have you all try ordering the webinar from AAPC call how to pass the CPC exam on your first try. I swear by this webinar, I failed my exam 2 times and then I order this webinar and it gives you the inside scoop on how to pass the exam. This was the best webinar I have seen so far and I can tell you that it works, I didn't want to just pass I wanted to score higher than 70 and I did. So before you go out and spend your hard earn money on something else, contact AAPC and inquire about the webinar. I promise you will not regret it!

Beverly A Taylor, CPC:cool:

Beverly Taylor....do you PROMISE that it can help someone pass this test? I have taken the thing 4 (count 'em....FOUR!!!) times, and my grades have been: 60, 68, 66, and this last one was a 62. Cannot even begin to tell you how devastated I am. I had such plans for having those letters after my name....fixing up the house....first, KEEPING the house, repaying my parents, etc. But now I can't even seem to get dressed in the morning. All of my self worth is gone just because of that word: FAiLED.

Woe as me?

I just found out I failed the CPC exam, pretty badly (this is my first attempt). I know I have to do better, and do something different but I really am clueless as to how to pass this exam.
I am graduating in August from my Coding program (I am valedictorian of 6 classes), the reason I mention that is because I felt like I knew how to study?couldn?t be so wrong! In addition to the 10 month program, I enrolled in a 6 week review course which I thought was very helpful. I did 4 mini practice exams (50 questions each) and a practice CPC exam (150 questions) where I sat for 5 hours and 40 minutes. In retrospect I only scored a 72 on the practice CPC exam, although I scored 85+ on the mini practice exams I didn?t time myself taking it. I ended up running out of time the day of the exam and guessed at 14 questions; even if I got all 14 questions right I still would not have passed. Clearly I am having a problem with understanding the material. I am devastated and completely embarrassed that I failed so horribly (Under 60%). So far I will be timing myself and reviewing the areas I didn?t do well in. I know this question has already been asked a million different times before, but I would appreciate any info on how else I can prepare for this exam. Thanks

I swear by the Blitz Review videos offered by Coding Certification.org. Laureen has such helpful tips, and she actually shows you the notes she has in her CPT book. She has a special method of grouping the CPT codes together and even though it is a time consuming process, I truly believe it helped me do very well (and pass) my CPC exam on the 1st try.

I'm a visual learner and her videos really worked for me. Check out her website and some of her videos on Youtube to get an idea of her teaching style.

I went to a state college in the area for about a year and got an Applied technology diploma and took a boot camp course before the test. I felt completely unprepared and was almost in tears after the test because I was absolutely convinced I failed. I finally got up the nerve to check the results and when I signed in to the AAPC site there was a little CPC-A after my name. I clicked on the results and it said I passed and I was soooo excited. I didn't study as much as I should have aside from the boot camp, but I've always been a good test taker, and I don't think I would have passed it if I wasn't. Just goes to show how important it is to know how to test in general (eliminating wrong answers, time management, etc.) Good luck everybody!! Theres a free retake for a reason...

Last edited:
I am so excited! I passed the CPC exam on the first attempt! That really was the hardest test I have ever taken and I am glad that is over. Good luck to everyone taking it!

Amber Davis
CPC, CCMA

Taking CPC Exam in December

Hello I am taking the CpC exam in December and wanted to know if someone close to me, Sunrise, Fl can help with tutoring for the exam or someone have some good advise. I did purchase the three practice exams and the books but would like some study ideas. Thanks Kimberly

score needed to pass the CPC exam

Is the minimum passing score still 70% overall to pass the CPC exam for 2015? I see answers stating this but they look like pretty old dates. Thanks, Mali0114

yes Mali0014 you need to score at least 70% in order to pass. It is 150 multiple choice questions and you have 5 hrs and 40 minutes.

Anyone try AAPC webinar

Going to take the CPC exam in 3 weeks. I was wondering if anyone has tried the webinar the AAPC has "how to pass the CPC on your first try"?? I saw it in this forum but have never heard of it. Did anyone try the webinar?
Thank you

Be prepared and pray!!

I took the exam for the first time Saturday and to my shock passed. I was sure I failed. But, I can tell you for a fact that there is no way I could have passed this grueling exam with out serious prayer. I asked the Lord to go with me into the test and keep my thoughts and focus clear. At about 4 hrs in I started to panic, I said a silent prayer and the Lord calmed me right down. Anyway, study hard and DO NOT change your answers. Your first answer is usually the right answer.

Have you all try ordering the webinar from AAPC call how to pass the CPC exam on your first try. I swear by this webinar, I failed my exam 2 times and then I order this webinar and it gives you the inside scoop on how to pass the exam. This was the best webinar I have seen so far and I can tell you that it works, I didn't want to just pass I wanted to score higher than 70 and I did. So before you go out and spend your hard earn money on something else, contact AAPC and inquire about the webinar. I promise you will not regret it!

Beverly A Taylor, CPC:cool:

I cannot find this webinar on AAPC..Please help!

Hi I have booked my exam date on November 8th 5days back and this is my second attempt, till now I didn't receive my Hall ticket. Please advise whether it will take time or need to do anything. For my 1st attempt I received within 2days, so I'm little confused.

CPB of CPC -P ?

I am in the process of getting my certification and which one is widely recognized and which would be likely to a making a living.....Which one is more popular? I was to pass the first time if I can the exam..... Passing exam percentage?

I am in the process of getting my certification and which one is widely recognized and which would be likely to a making a living.....Which one is more popular? I was to pass the first time if I can the exam..... Passing exam percentage?

I would go with a regular CPC over CPC-P. I work for an insurance company and was told CPC will go a lot further. I was told there are so few CPC-P that it may become a discontinued credential one of these days. I don't plan on taking CPB until i complete my CPC. I may do the CPC-P next as i already have a background in reimbursement.

How long until the test results return?

I too am on pins and needles waiting to see if I passed. I feel really good about it, I only guessed on a few and I felt confident in my answers. I hope I'm not delusional about how I did! How soon can the results come back? I took mine on 7/16 so it's been 5 days since. I've been checking the aapc website 2-3 times a day!

I know this thread is a little old but what helped me is definitely going through the guidelines and conventions in both the ICD-10 and CPT; going through the chapter specific guidelines, just over and over, knowing where everything is in all your code manuals too and believe it or not, in your CPT, instead of tabbing the side with all the tabs that came with it, put those tabs on the top and bottom and then create your own tabs, 0-9, and put the zero tab at the start of your 00 codes, your 1 tab on the start of your 10000-19999 section, 2 tab at the start of the 20000 codes, etc. It helps tremendously with finding your codes speedy quick. Know where your drug codes are on in the HCPCS and the modifier section in the HCPCS, tab those so you can refer to them quickly. Also, in the CPT, read your parentheses under the codes you look up, you'll miss a few if you don't! Watch missokieok's videos on youtube; excellent free information on ICD-10 and more importantly CPT coding, I watched all of them and literally came to understand some of the more difficult procedures thoroughly. Very helpful.

Does anyone know what percentage is needed to be considered passing? When I checked my results it showed me I had a 67% and I'm about to order some practice test and prepare for my retake. Just want to kind of get an idea of how far out of the ball park I am.

pass percentage is 70 to clear the exam...........u just step behind, if u practice , u will get good result.......................

I too am on pins and needles waiting to see if I passed. I feel really good about it, I only guessed on a few and I felt confident in my answers. I hope I'm not delusional about how I did! How soon can the results come back? I took mine on 7/16 so it's been 5 days since. I've been checking the aapc website 2-3 times a day!

I know this thread is a little old but what helped me is definitely going through the guidelines and conventions in both the ICD-10 and CPT; going through the chapter specific guidelines, just over and over, knowing where everything is in all your code manuals too and believe it or not, in your CPT, instead of tabbing the side with all the tabs that came with it, put those tabs on the top and bottom and then create your own tabs, 0-9, and put the zero tab at the start of your 00 codes, your 1 tab on the start of your 10000-19999 section, 2 tab at the start of the 20000 codes, etc. It helps tremendously with finding your codes speedy quick. Know where your drug codes are on in the HCPCS and the modifier section in the HCPCS, tab those so you can refer to them quickly. Also, in the CPT, read your parentheses under the codes you look up, you'll miss a few if you don't! Watch missokieok's videos on youtube; excellent free information on ICD-10 and more importantly CPT coding, I watched all of them and literally came to understand some of the more difficult procedures thoroughly. Very helpful.

4 to 30 days

Does anyone know if your score for a certification exam is ever posted on a weekend. The status says received, but I wondered if I had to wait until Monday to get my grade?

Passing scores take longer to post?

I’ve taken the CPC exam 3 times already. I failed the 1st time with a 42% and then failed the 2nd with a 64%. Both of these scores with posted online on Thursday night (5 Days from exam date(Sat)) and this 3rd time I’m feeling pretty confident I passed but I’m not sure. Does anyone know if passing exams take longer to post online? Has anyone received a pass within 5 days before?