Wiki Cpc exam suggestions

HKOFOID

Networker
Best answers
I am scheduled to take the CPC exam June 26th. I did the online course through the AAPC. I work in family practice, so I don't have a lot of surgery or hospital type coding experience, and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how to get more knowledge of these procedures and coding information. I am so nervous to take this test because anyone and everyone I have spoken with says that it is very hard, and the only thing they really have to say is good luck! So any suggestions on this would be very much appeciated!
Thank you,
Heather

Be sure to pace yourself. The time is a big factor in this test. Only spend a certain amount of time on each question or you will have to guess on the last 30-50 questions. Be sure to start in the beginning of the test. Don't page through and complete certain sections and then go back to another. Go from front to back and be aware of the time. If you get behind just guess at the last few in each section just to stay on track with your time. You will do just fine.

Don't be discouraged. None of us are experts in all parts of coding.

I have run a medical billing service for fifteen years. I have billed for anesthesia, pain management, ortho, psych, podiatry, etc...and there were still big sections I had to learn. I had never coded for burns, diabetes, radiology, ob-gyn, childbirth, pathology, etc. The questions they asked in each section were fair. It's just that each specialty has their own odd rules. An example would be an ENT doing a 'scope bills essentially for only greatest extension of the scope, while an orthopod doing a knee 'scope w/ repair gets to bill for both the scope and repair.

It can be done. Use a study course like the AAPC online course. Do the work. If you want to do it youself, just know each section of the CPT..front to bak. You will be fine. And yes, it is a hard test.

Something that helped me out is taking the practice tests offered by the AAPC. I took them and then would go back and read the rationals on all the answers. That helped me alot. Good Luck. 3rd time is the charm. i took it 3 times as well.
sc

Dont get discouraged.

I am scheduled to take the CPC exam June 26th. I did the online course through the AAPC. I work in family practice, so I don't have a lot of surgery or hospital type coding experience, and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how to get more knowledge of these procedures and coding information. I am so nervous to take this test because anyone and everyone I have spoken with says that it is very hard, and the only thing they really have to say is good luck! So any suggestions on this would be very much appeciated!
Thank you,
Heather

Heather the worst thing you can do is to stress over the exam. Go in as if you won't pass the first time but will see exactly how the test is layed out. I have taken it twice, the first time I went to fast and the second time I ran out of time. I can tell you the way the test is set up you will begin with the first section of the CPT and go through each section in order. The test is really set up well you just have to watch your time. Best of luck!
Teresa

Good Luck....You can do it!!!

Know your guidelines in front of each section. This will help you out tremendously. Doing the practice CPC exam from the AAPC was a great tool for me. Good Luck!

Anita

Study and don't stress about the exam!

The exam is hard. Make sure you study and make notes in your books, use tabs so that you divide your book and locate sections easier, study your guidelines, and use the process of elimination on the questions that have CPT and ICD-9 codes in the multiple choice, sometimes you can eliminate 2 wrong answers within seconds by that method. I passed on my first try, and I finished within 5 hours. The CPC practice exams are very helpful. Don't stress about the exam, it goes by really fast (5 hours and 40 minutes for 2010 CPC exam).

Good Luck!

Review the guidelines in each section, making notes and highlighting as needed.

Just to let you know, I worked years in primary care, with a small mix of other things. When I tested there were the three sections. The surgery section wound up being my strongest.

Good luck to you!

cpc exam

Hi, I also took the AAPC coding course last year..I took my CPC test this year and passed..study the guidelines and keep practicing exercises..I had a hard time because the company I work for doesn't even use CPT codes they have different codes that convert over to a CPT code...sooo it was difficult but u can do it!!! Good luck