Wiki Cpma

The AAPC partnered up with NAMAS. As of 1/1/2010, the CPMA is officially an AAPC credential. All of those who have successfully completed the CPMA prior to 12/31/09 and is in good standing, will be grandfathered in. The AAPC will be the administrator for the credential.

Very interesting.

I got an email last night about it from AAPC but they didn't mention the partnership piece and I was wondering how they could use the same credential. I guess it all makes sense now.

This also makes me question why I haven't received Coding Edge for November.

Another question what does this do to our CEU requirements? When it was just a NAMAS credential the same CEUs for our CPC could be used. Will we have to get an additional 16 like most of the other specialty credentials? There is nothing posted on their site yet about this and no option for a practice exam either that I could find. I intend to take the exam as soon as I can, I had actually planned on going thru NAMAS for it sometime next year, it will be disappointing though if we have to get more CEUs now to keep it.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Last edited:
I'm taking this test on Saturday, Dec. 5th. Wish me luck! I found some of the resources comical, because it's a link to the website. So, does that mean I study the whole site? LOL!

I was scratching my head on this one too.... The suggested resources are great resources however, we are only allowed to bring our normal coding books (CPT, ICD-9, HCPCS), the DG's and two auditing forms. There is alot of information provided on the "resources" list that isn't necessarily provided within our manuals and DG's....Any thoughts on this?

It's unfortunate that with it being a specialty exam that we are not allowed to bring "one other printed source" like the coding companions that are allowed for other specialty exams. Since it's a "beta" exam, that will certainly be one of my comments afterward. Who all is taking it? I'm doing it on the 12th (just took the COBGC 11/21 and PASSED!) Sometimes I think I'm crazy!
:eek:

I am taking the test Saturday. I was a bit frustrated when I received an e-mail at about 10:30 last night stating no other reference books are allowed. I wonder though since we are beta testing if that has something to do with it. I guess we'll all find out!
Good luck everybody!

Thanks Rebecca!
I wasn't going to do it either until it was offered for free...so I figured what the heck. Just 5 1/2 more hours right? Good luck to all!!

Rebecca, I thought it was also strange that the credential is titled "Certified Professional Medical Auditor." When the study material is focused on compliance. I'm not familiar with NAMAS, but I can see why they would want to have consistency with both organizations. Who knows, maybe they will change it in the future like they did with CPC-E/M & CEMC?

I took the test today and I can honestly say it is the hardest test I have ever taken. It is nothing like the CEMC; it covers so much more. Good luck everybody!

I took the test today and I can honestly say it is the hardest test I have ever taken. It is nothing like the CEMC; it covers so much more. Good luck everybody!

Brenda, I took the test as well. It was difficult that is why I don't agree with the name of the certification. This certification should have "compliance" in it somewhere. I can't wait to see if I passed it. Good luck!

I am taking it this saturday and am officially scared. Could be my first ever failed exam. Did you guys get to write comments in the booklet after taking the exam?

I am taking it this saturday and am officially scared. Could be my first ever failed exam. Did you guys get to write comments in the booklet after taking the exam?

Hi Lisa,
Please don't be scared - be calm, cool & collective! :) Funny thing is the proctors told us that we could not write in the booklet, but they later restated that we could. I circled the ones that I knew I wanted to share my feedback & after the test was over I went back & wrote it down. However, I got done 45 minutes early so I had time to do that. I did not wait until the end, so I don't know if they would have allowed me to do that? A lot of people that were sitting for the test were there for their CPC. The best thing about multiple choice questions, is you can pretty much eliminate (2) of them and then choose your best answer. I feel somewhat confident that I passed, but who knows? Good luck!!

Hi Lisa,
Please don't be scared - be calm, cool & collective! :) Funny thing is the proctors told us that we could not write in the booklet, but they later restated that we could. I circled the ones that I knew I wanted to share my feedback & after the test was over I went back & wrote it down. However, I got done 45 minutes early so I had time to do that. I did not wait until the end, so I don't know if they would have allowed me to do that? A lot of people that were sitting for the test were there for their CPC. The best thing about multiple choice questions, is you can pretty much eliminate (2) of them and then choose your best answer. I feel somewhat confident that I passed, but who knows? Good luck!!

Thank you and good luck to you as well!!

Lisa,
Write back to us on this thread and let us know what you thought of the test (easy/hard). Looking forward to your feedback!

I also took the test on Sat. It was harder than I thought iit would be. The CEMC was a breeze compared to this one. I don't audit alot of hospital services. I don't know how I did. I'm leaning more towards that I failed. What are your thoughts?

I also took the test on Sat. It was harder than I thought iit would be. The CEMC was a breeze compared to this one. I don't audit alot of hospital services. I don't know how I did. I'm leaning more towards that I failed. What are your thoughts?

Great...hospital coding...should be interesting since I'm provider based...:eek:

I was told by the AAPC that this is a "core" credential not a specialty and which is why we couldn't bring anything else to the exam. I am taking mine this saturday...I am too old for this :eek:

I was told by the AAPC that this is a "core" credential not a specialty and which is why we couldn't bring anything else to the exam. I am taking mine this saturday...I am too old for this :eek:

Sarah - I had not realized it was considered a core credential...but after I saw your post, I checked how the Academy has it listed under certifications - and I'll be darned if it isn't a core credential! Very interesting. Good luck to you! I am taking mine on Saturday also.

Great...hospital coding...should be interesting since I'm provider based...:eek:

For those taking this test in the upcoming weeks, please review the Exam Breakdown for studying. They are not kidding with the auditing of approximately 20 healthcare cases. Also, I would also like to know how many of you think this credential should be renamed to a "compliance" cert? There are 150 questions, 20 of them were auditing/abstracting. In my opinion, the majority was compliance related. Am I the only one that feels this way?:confused:

Sounds like it but I'll have a better "feel" once I take it. I've reviewed the suggested sites and most of those I refer to at least once a day...fingers and toes crossed...

I have a question. i recieved an email from the AAPC about the exam that had this statement:

• Any audit tools of your choice (only 2 Evaluation and Management audit tools required)

If you are saying you are saying we are auditing approx 20 cases?!

Did I miss something or are we not auditing the entire case?

Thanks
Sarah

I have a question. i recieved an email from the AAPC about the exam that had this statement:

• Any audit tools of your choice (only 2 Evaluation and Management audit tools required)

If you are saying you are saying we are auditing approx 20 cases?!

Did I miss something or are we not auditing the entire case?

Thanks
Sarah

Sarah, go to the Certification Tab on top of your screen and look at the CPMA credential, it will break down what you need to prepare for. I took 2 E/M audit tools with me & you are also allowed to take a copy of the '95 and '97 documentation guidelines. I was questioned by the proctors on bringing the DG's, but once I told them what I was sitting for they ok'd it.

cpma

I'm taking the exam on Monday but feel like I'm still going in blind. It will be interesting to see what the study guide looks like when it comes out. The only problem I have with it is that we are only allowed updates to coding guidelines and our CPT, ICD-9, and HCPCS books.

If I were doing an audit, I would have access to all of these websites they sent us to study too. There is no way to memorize all of the information.

Anyway, I figure take it this time to see what it's like and hope for the best.

CPMA - Study Guide

The study guide is out - it is called Medical Record Auditor by Debra Grider (AAPC) and is available thru the AMA.

Maria

I'm taking the exam on Monday but feel like I'm still going in blind. It will be interesting to see what the study guide looks like when it comes out. The only problem I have with it is that we are only allowed updates to coding guidelines and our CPT, ICD-9, and HCPCS books.

If I were doing an audit, I would have access to all of these websites they sent us to study too. There is no way to memorize all of the information.

Anyway, I figure take it this time to see what it's like and hope for the best.

Hi MHcpc,
As long as you know you are not auditing/abstracting the whole test, like the exam breakdown says, you will only audit/abstract approximately 20 healthcare notes. The remaining is all the other items under the breakdown:
  • Legal/Regulatory Issues
  • NCCI Edits
  • RAC Audits
  • Quality Assurance
  • Statistical Sampling
  • Documentation Requirements of Medical Records
You will need all (3) books CPT, ICD-9 & HCPCS. Don't forget to bring an audit tool (allowed 2) & a copy of the DG's '95 & '97. I forgot to bring a watch & the clock on the wall was not visible to me. Good luck!

Found out today that I passed!! Wow that was really fast. Wasn't expecting the results so quick. I do have to say this was the hardest test I've taken. The exam committee did a great job quizing my knowledge.:D

Took it on 12/5. Yesterday the site said pass and today it is saying pending again but when you click on it my score is there (which is a passing) but it is saying pending. I'm confused. It seems like the site is messed up. Makes me wonder if maybe I didn't pass it but I'm a worry wart.

I am preparing to take the CHC with the HCCA in Feb. so I have been studying up on compliance. I think this test will help me prepare for the CHC exam. I had trouble with some of the case studies. There were things on there that I do not audit.

CPMA results

Took it on 12/5. Yesterday the site said pass and today it is saying pending again but when you click on it my score is there (which is a passing) but it is saying pending. I'm confused. It seems like the site is messed up. Makes me wonder if maybe I didn't pass it but I'm a worry wart.

I took mine on 12/5 as well and yesterday mine said pending with the score which was passing, now it just says pending and the score is missing. Is anyone else having this issue?
Rosalie

That sucks Rebecca. I'm scheduled to take mine tomorrow, so far they haven't cancelled it. Of course I'm in Michigan, bad weather is the only kind we have this time of year! Hopefully they will let you take it at a later date since it was due to circumstances beyond control.

I will say I am really nervous about taking this one. I've never failed a test before and I don't want to start now but I can guarantee I won't pass if I don't take it so I'm going to do my best.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Good Luck Laura!

NC isn't accustomed to too much sleet and snow but I KNOW Michigan is..............

And you know what?? I'm originally from Michigan...Grand Rapids. I knew there was another reason why I liked you other than just you're coding knowledge...LOL! ;)

I took mine on 12/5 as well and yesterday mine said pending with the score which was passing, now it just says pending and the score is missing. Is anyone else having this issue?
Rosalie

I called the AAPC since mine said pass and then it was gone. I was told that the IT people weren't suppose to release the results until they've had a chance to review the feedback on the tests. She said it would be possibly another week before we would see our results. My score was also taken down. It's a bummer to see your score and then not. I am just very anxious to see pass again since I've told everyone that I did indeed pass the test.

Well I took my exam today. Finished in 2 hours, feedback and all. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. I certainly agree this was more of a compliance test than auditing. I used my books for less than half the test and didn't even look at my E/M guidelines or audit sheet. The majority of the questions could not be answered with our books or allowed references so one of my comments was additional reference materials should be allowed.

I am confident of my auditing skills and feel I did good on those parts but some of the compliance questions leave me feeling very nervous about my odds of passing this one.

Oh well, time will tell...

Laura, CPC, CEMC

CPMA exam

Wow, 2 hours, that's impressive! I took mine December 12, and it took me about 4 hrs to complete. I agree with one of the other posts that it was probably the hardest test I have ever taken. Anxious to find out if I passed!

CPMA Exam

I took my exam on Saturday (19th).
First,I have to thank everyone for all of the information that you have posted. It was a great help.
The test is difficult. Study up on your compliance and the materials that they have suggested.
Everyone has given great advice
Good luck to everyone!!!
Jamie Salup CPC, CEMS, COSC, COBGS

Last edited:
Well I took my exam today. Finished in 2 hours, feedback and all. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. I certainly agree this was more of a compliance test than auditing. I used my books for less than half the test and didn't even look at my E/M guidelines or audit sheet. The majority of the questions could not be answered with our books or allowed references so one of my comments was additional reference materials should be allowed.

I am confident of my auditing skills and feel I did good on those parts but some of the compliance questions leave me feeling very nervous about my odds of passing this one.

Oh well, time will tell...

Laura, CPC, CEMC

I agree with you Laura on all of your comments. I also stated in my feedback that reference material on compliance should be allowed. I too am very confident with my auditing skills, but the compliance questions did throw me some. I think I finished in 3 1/2 hours (took it on the 12th). I'm afraid I gave too much extra thought to many of the compliance questions :eek:

I called the AAPC since mine said pass and then it was gone. I was told that the IT people weren't suppose to release the results until they've had a chance to review the feedback on the tests. She said it would be possibly another week before we would see our results. My score was also taken down. It's a bummer to see your score and then not. I am just very anxious to see pass again since I've told everyone that I did indeed pass the test.

Thanks for the info Wendy. I've been repeatedly checking for mine. At least we know what the hold up is. Did they mean the feedback on your specific test or everyone's feedback? If it is everyone's, it could be well into January before we get our results. It would be nice if they would inform us of the delay...since we are all so anxious!

I just got off the phone with national and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was told it will be after the first of the year before we get our results. Because this is a beta test, they have to go through not only the test but also all of the comments that were put in the test booklets to ensure fairness across the board.
So, I now will stop checking the website 52 times a day to see if I passed. Everyone have a Merry Christmas and don't check if you passed until the new year!