Wiki cpt code 62223 billed with 61781 and 69990 is this payable?

melanied

Contributor
Best answers
Our Neurosurgeon did a 62223 and used stereotactic navigation 61781 and the microscope is the payable? Medicare says the 61781 is for reporting purposes on the ERA.
Thank you

Our Neurosurgeon did a 62223 and used stereotactic navigation 61781 and the microscope is the payable? Medicare says the 61781 is for reporting purposes on the ERA.
Thank you
My experience is that Medicare has a range of CPT codes that they allow the stealth to be reimbursed with. 62223 is not one of them. Private payers may pay but Medicare doesn't

I have not been able to find a CMS or MAC article (I've checked IOMs, LCDs, NCDs, even just google) stating which primary codes can be used. Medicare denies this code A LOT, even when following CPT guidelines regarding qualifying codes.
I spoke with Medicare just this morning so they could point me in the right direction and they didn't even have an answer- they instructed me to file a FOIA request in order to get my answer. If I get a resolution in a reasonable timeframe, I will respond again and post the answer. It may be good to file your own request for the same issue as well. This applies to 61781-61783.