Cpt code???

breanne

Best answers
I am billing the anesthesia for the insertion of a catheter for hemodialysis. The patient has ESRD. I know there are CPT codes for a physcian to perform the hemodialysis, but I'm looking for the code used for the placement of the catheter.

Thanks for your help,
Breanne CPC

Your question states "catheter" so my response is specific to that. If it is actually a "shunt" other CPT codes would be applicable.
Tessa's responses are correct if it's a "peritoneal" dialysis catheter. Otherwise, could be 36558 or 36561 if Groshong or Hickman catheter.

Julie, CPC

36555-36561

Usually it might be in the series of 36558-36561. If they mention clearly peritioneal dialysis catheter then go with 49420-49421. Otherwise for hemodialysis catheter for ESRD use 36561 for age older than 5 or 36560 for younger than 5 years.

Radhakrishnan ACS-AN

Dialysis cath

I am trying to find a ICD-9 Code for if a patient ACCIDENTALLY PULLS OUT A Dialysis catheter while sleeping?? Can anyone help me please?????? In need..

I am trying to find a ICD-9 Code for if a patient ACCIDENTALLY PULLS OUT A Dialysis catheter while sleeping?? Can anyone help me please?????? In need..

I think I would use 996.73-it says 'Complication NOS' in the Tabular List, and I couldn't find an 'attention to' or other Complication code that would infer the patient pulled it out. Hope this helps!

Hemodialysis catheter placement cpt code

If they documented as peritioneal dialysis catheter then it would be 49420-49421. Otherwise for hemodialysis catheter for ESRD use 36561 for age older than 5 or 36560 for younger than 5 years.

Another tips in choosing the code : In case if the document was not clear whether it is Peritoneal or not, we can also consider Mode of anesthesia(Mac) and Anesthesia timing in choosing the codes.

Dorwin D, CPC, CPC-H, CANPC
Certified ICD-10cm Coder.