CPT specific order

aces78rp

Best answers
I know this answer but I need cofirmation from my peers. Can we change a code from the provider to be more specific? Example the provider gave me the code for pain in limb and I read the notes and the pain is in the shoulder area and then he coded chest pain for pain in the ribs. Any response would be appreciated.

cedwards

Guru
Best answers
I would go back to the provider with ICD-9 code book in hand and show him/her the code I think it would be and explain why I think that based on their documentation and then ask if they would like to change their coding. Alot of times the physicians aren't aware there is a code that specific. It all goes back to provider education. I have instructed the providers I work for to write the diagnosis out for me rather than circling it on the encounter form so I can find the code that best fits. For example on our encounter form it says pain specify site________________ my providers would write shoulder pain and rib pain this way I can find the appropriate code to code to the highest degree of certainty.