Wiki CPT specific order

aces78rp

Best answers
I know this answer but I need cofirmation from my peers. Can we change a code from the provider to be more specific? Example the provider gave me the code for pain in limb and I read the notes and the pain is in the shoulder area and then he coded chest pain for pain in the ribs. Any response would be appreciated.

I would go back to the provider with ICD-9 code book in hand and show him/her the code I think it would be and explain why I think that based on their documentation and then ask if they would like to change their coding. Alot of times the physicians aren't aware there is a code that specific. It all goes back to provider education. I have instructed the providers I work for to write the diagnosis out for me rather than circling it on the encounter form so I can find the code that best fits. For example on our encounter form it says pain specify site________________ my providers would write shoulder pain and rib pain this way I can find the appropriate code to code to the highest degree of certainty.