Wiki Creating a new CPT code

SRMoore1

Best answers
Hello, All!

Today I spoke w/ a man who offers a medical "product" for our weight loss clinic. He asked me about billing, and what he needs to do to have his particular product become something that insurance will pay for. I explained to him that all medical goods and services have a CPT association, and if his product is really something that can be considered "medical" his product would need a CPT. He has studies backing the benefits of this product. He asked me how one goes about getting a code created. I was at a loss, but figured his first stop is either the AMA or FDA, to establish his product as something considered medical. I also mentioned the use of unlisted procedure codes, but that's always an iffy situation, especially if his product is not something that is medically necessary and since he has no contracts with any insurance companies.

How are new CPT created and how does one go about attempting to obtain one?

Thanks!

The AMA has a process for this and the information is on their website but basically the request needs to come from a physician as I recall.

In addition, if this is a "product" rather than a procedure, it could well not qualify for a CPT code. He may want to look into getting a HCPCS code - that is through the federal government: Alpha-Numeric HCPCS Coordinator, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, C5-08-27, 7500 Security Blvd, Baltimore, MD 21244-1850. FDA Approval may need to be obtained, also - I would have him check their website for instructions.