Wiki CRNFA's

ARCPC9491

True Blue
Best answers
Does anyone currently bill for CRNFA's? How do they need to be credentialed? and how is the billing different from PA's?

......Anything is helpful!:D Thanks!

CRNAs are considered mid-level providers and, for at least services occurring in Nebraska, most carriers are individually credentialing all CRNAs. Some states have "opt out" laws that allow for a CRNA to personally perform anesthesia services, others do not and require they be supervised. As far as for how to bill for them, it depends on in what capacity they are performing services. Are they personally performing (QZ modifier) or being supervised (QX modifier)?

To my knowledge, they will be pretty much doing the same thing as a PA would be, assisting and just that. They will not be personally doing anything by themselves. Do you use the AS modifier at all? or just QX?
What % is the reimbursement of the physician fee schedule and is Medicare recognizing them as providers? if so, I'm assuming they need to be seperately enrolled. We're thinking about employing or leasing CRNFA's ... I want to have my ducks in a row ... so then we can figure out the negative or positive financial impact.

What I've gathered though, is that most practices have utilized PA's instead of the CRNFA's because of the positive financial impact - most payers recognize/reimburse for PA's - and most payers do not for CRNFA's.... Any thoughts?

Last edited: