Wiki CT Abscess Drainage Procedure

baash1124

Contributor
Best answers
Can anyone help me with the appropiate code(s) for this procedure?

Thanks in advance!

CT-guided pelvic abscess drainage procedure

Risks and benefits of CT-guided abscess drainage procedure were explained to the patient and written consent was obtained. In the CT suite, unenhanced images through the pelvis were performed to localize an approximately 8 x 10 cm pelvis abscess cavity. Using CT guidance, the pelvic abscess cavity was accessed with a 22-gauge needle. Over a wire, the track
was dilated and a 10-French multi side hole locking pigtail drainage catheter was placed into the air fluid cavity and secured in position. Approximately 80 cc of opaque dark red-brown thick fluid were aspirated from the cavity decompressing it. CT images during and after procedure confirmed
placement of the drainage catheter in the abscess cavity in the low midpelvis.

Impression: Successful CT-guided pelvic abscess drainage with placement of a 10-French locking multi side hole pigtail catheter in the deep midpelvic abscess decompressing it, aspirate with removal of 80 cc of purulent material.

check these codes I think this may be what you need:
58823 Drainage of pelvic abscess,transvaginal or transrectal approach
75989 Radiological supervision

Well I had looked at the 58823, but it doesn't look to me like they used either of these approaches. And I was confused about the fact that they left the drainage catheter in place?

Thanks