Wiki Cva with deficits in icd-10

aheeralal

New
Best answers
Can anyone tell if there is a guideline stating to report neurologic deficits associated with an acute CVA? Is it found in ICD-9, but I can't seem to locate it anywhere in ICD-10. Maybe it's no longer there???

Thanks for the help!

I believe you should treat it like it was in ICD-9

ICD-10-CM Guidelines, I.C.9.d.1

Sequelae of Cerebrovascular disease

Category I69 is used to indicate conditions classifiable to categories I60-I67 as the causes of sequela (neurologic deficits), themselves classified elsewhere. These “late effects” include
neurologic deficits that persist after initial onset
of conditions classifiable to categories I60-I67. The neurologic deficits caused by cerebrovascular disease may be present from the onset or may arise at any time after the onset of the condition classifiable to categories I60-I67.

I'm interpreting the bolded part that there is no time frame for a defect to be considered late effect when it comes to CVA. I also interpret initial onset to be before they presented at the hospital

I'm in a quandary over this as well; particularly as there is an excludes 1 note on I63 for the I69.3 category. Part of me thinks it makes sense that these are conditions which are part of the acute disease process, but then again, this is as clear as mud. Just wondering if anyone has more specific guidance.

It is not a deficit of the CVA until after the acute CVA is over. In other words some can have an acute CVA with acute issue that all resolve quickly. However if the condition does not resolve and is not going to resolve prior to discharge and the patient is stable enough for discharge then the remaining deficits are late effects. You cannot have an acute infraction with late effects from the infarction at the same episode.