Wiki Diabetes with other known diagnosis codes or complicstions

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: I12.9

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Hypertensive chronic kidney disease with stage 1 through stage 4 chronic kidney disease, or unspecified chronic kidney disease

Block: Hypertensive diseases (I10-I16)

Excludes 1:hypertensive disease complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O10-O11, O13-O16)
neonatal hypertension (P29.2)
primary pulmonary hypertension (I27.0)

Use additional code to identify:exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (Z77.22)
history of tobacco use (Z87.891)
occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (Z57.31)
tobacco dependence (F17.-)
tobacco use (Z72.0)

Details: Hypertensive chronic kidney disease with stage 1 through stage 4 chronic kidney disease, or unspecified chronic kidney disease

Hypertensive chronic kidney disease NOS
Hypertensive renal disease NOS

Use additional code to identify the stage of chronic kidney disease (N18.1-N18.4, N18.9)
I12

Includes: any condition in N18 and N26 - due to hypertension
arteriosclerosis of kidney
arteriosclerotic nephritis (chronic) (interstitial)
hypertensive nephropathy
nephrosclerosis

Excludes1: hypertension due to kidney disease (I15.0, I15.1)
renovascular hypertension (I15.0)
secondary hypertension (I15.-)

Excludes2: acute kidney failure (N17.-)

Guidelines: Diseases of the circulatory system (I00-I99)

Excludes 2: certain conditions originating in the perinatal period (P04-P96)
certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00-B99)
complications of pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00-O9A)
congenital malformations, deformations, and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99)
endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E88)
injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88)
neoplasms (C00-D49)
symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00-R94)
systemic connective tissue disorders (M30-M36)
transient cerebral ischemic attacks and related syndromes (G45.-)

For more details on I12.9, ICD-10 Code for Hypertensive chronic kidney disease with stage 1 through stage 4 chronic kidney disease, or unspecified chronic kidney disease , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/

ggparker14

True Blue
Best answers
Can someone help me to understand how to code diabetes with other documented diagnosis codes and/or complications? For other diagnosis codes that are not listed in the index or tabular, but are documented in the note, such as diabetes and anemia. Is this coded as "other complication" or is this coded as diabetes (E11.9 and D64.9). Are diabetic complication codes only coded for what is listed in the book, such as diabetes and kidney complications? Also, with new 2017 ICD10CM guidelines, I am understanding there is an assumed link between two conditions if both conditions are documented without the provider specifically documenting "due to" diabetes" etc.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
You need to use your codebook for these. Only those conditions listed under the word with under diabetes are to assumed as a causal relationship.
Diabetes, diabetic (mellitus) (sugar) E11.9
with
amyotrophy E11.44
arthropathy NEC E11.618
autonomic (poly) E11.43
cataract E11.36
Charcot's joints E11.610
chronic kidney disease E11.22
And so on.

Best answers
Diabetes Type 2 with CKD...but CKD caused by HTN

In the ICD-10 book for 2016, under code first conditions for Stage 4 CKD (N18.4), it lists both E11.22 - Type 2 diabetes with CKD and I12.9 - Hypertensive CKD stage 1 through 4. Documentation states that the CKD Stage 4 was not caused by the DM but by HTN, but the patient is diabetic. Would you then code both of these together with N18.4 to note the Stage of CKD?