Wiki Diabetic combination codes

Best answers
If you have a diabetic patient who is hypertensive, with stage 3 kidney disease, is the assumption still that the kidney disease is related to the hypertension? If so, would I still bill the diabetes with renal manifestations?
Does the provider have to link the chronic kidney disease to the diabetes in order to use the E11.22 code?
Do they actually have to say "due to" or "Because of" type wording before you can combine the codes.
I'm having a hard time understanding this.
Thanks
Nancy

Yes

Yes. According to the Chapter 9 Guideline, "The classification presumes a casual relationship between hypertension and heart involvement and between hypertension and kidney involvement, as the two conditions are linked by the term 'with' in the alphabetical index. These conditions should be coded as related even in the absence of provider documentation explicitly linking them, UNLESS the documentation clearly states the conditions are unrelated."
You would also assume a relationship between the DM 2 & CKD.

So because of that assumed relationship you would code E11.22, I12.0, & N18.3[/SIZE]

list of assumed link of DM conditions: http://www.hiacode.com/education/icd-10-tip-dm-with-assumed-conditions/

Ceci