Wiki diag for postmenopausal after oophrectomy

phamilton

Contributor
Best answers
Looking for correct diag for dexa scan for a female who is postmenopausal several years out from having ovaries surgically removed. Surgical menopause code has an exclusion that says acquired absence of ovaries is excluded. No definite lingering symptoms (hot flashes, etc) mentioned.

Dexa scan

Looking for correct diag for dexa scan for a female who is postmenopausal several years out from having ovaries surgically removed. Surgical menopause code has an exclusion that says acquired absence of ovaries is excluded. No definite lingering symptoms (hot flashes, etc) mentioned.

I am also wondering the same thing. Pt is same status: surgical removal of Uterus and Ovaries. Pt has no symptoms of menopause b/c they're on hormone replacement therapy but the phys wants her to have a Dexa Scan done to check bone density. Patient is under 50. Osteopenia was found as a result of the scan. The physician wants to use M85.9 as the primary and only diagnosis code.

The patient is actually asymptomatic premature menopause(E28.319) or asymptomatic post-procedural ovarian failure (E89.40) I'm not sure which and probably Hormone Replacement Therapy (Z79.890). I'm thinking the result of the dexa scan: Other specified disorder of bone density and structure, other site (M85.88) or multiple sites (M85.89) The bone density test done was of the hips. How would it really be coded?