Wiki Diagnoses for colonoscopy :/

Best answers
PREOP/POSTOP DIAGNOSES: Hematochezia, obstipation, chronic.

INDICATIONS/FINDINGS: The patient is a 26-year-old woman with a hx of chronic obstipation, irregular bowel movements with passage of bright red blood. She also has concerns because there is a family hx of colon cancer in 2 family members (29-year-old half-sister and 60-year-old mother).

***(My note) This patient originally called our office to schedule the colonoscopy because her sister had just been diagnosed with colon CA at a very young age, and she was concerned because she has "constipation with occasional bleeding."

Coding colonoscopies will ultimately be the death of me. In her case, she probably would not have sought care for the symptoms, had she had not had the positive hx...and vice versa, I'm not sure she would have presented for screen, given only the positive hx.

No idea on correct order of these diagnosis codes :/

Last edited:
Diagnosis for Colonoscopy

I am thinking 564.09 (chronic constipation), 787.99 (change in bowel habits), and 569.3 (rectal bleeding) and V16.0 (family history of colon cancer) ....

Given the info you provided I personally would not use the "screening" code
(v76.51) because the patient presented with problems and not for "routine screening".

Last edited: