Wiki Diagnosis code

LeaHarris

Networker
Best answers
My physician wants to use the following diagnosis code on a 4 year old child:

648.31 -- Drug dependence of mother, with delivery(648.31)

I realize this is a diagnosis code to use for the mother, not the child. All the codes that are relevant seem to be for newborns or infants, not a 4 year old. The only additional information I have is that the mother used meth while pregnant and now 4 years down the line the child continues to have development and behavior problems that my provider feels are relevant to this exposure. Any thoughts on the appropriate diagnosis code?

This code can only be used on a mother not a baby and will be rejected by the carrier. Is the child experiencing any symptoms or developmental issues as these can be coded.

It is appropriate to report codes such as 760.72 for the life of the patient if the exposure continues to affect management. Though some systems flag codes in these categories as for newborns only, ICD-9-CM guidelines instruct otherwise ("Chapter 15 code may be used throughout the life of the patient if the condition is still present.")and certain codes like 760.76 were created because in utero exposures can present health concerns many years later (higher risk of infertility or vaginal cancer due to exposure to DES). You would also code the development and behavior problems. Hope that helps.