Wiki Diagnostic Endoscopy and Colonoscopy

KHIX

New
Best answers
When performing diagnostic endoscopy and/or colonoscopy and the diagnosis codes used are signs and symptoms. However, the endoscopy or colonoscopy is normal. The diagnosis codes used default to the signs and symptoms based on ICD-10 guidelines - coding signs and symptoms if no definitive diagnosis at end of encounter. There is a discussion about the use of K31.89 (other diseases stomach/duodenum) or K59.9 (functional intestinal disorder). I have not seen any coding guidance on the usage of K31.89 or K59.9 Any assistance would be appreciated.

I'm not aware of any guidelines specific to these particular codes. What exactly is the discussion about - is there a question as to whether or not these codes can be used to report a sign or symptom? If so, I would answer yes, as long as the alphabetic index directs you to that code to report that particular symptom which was documented in the record.

I think you answered the question. I would always default to ICD-10 guidelines and use signs/symptoms as stated above. I wasn't sure why these codes would be utilized K31.89 and K59.9. Wasn't sure if this was a guidance for coding "normal endoscopy/colonoscopy" in the absence of findings on the exam.