• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Discontinue of CADD pump

gr8gal61

Guru
Best answers
I have a question that I hope someone can help clarify. Currently a patient comes in to have their CADD pump disconnected, typically within 48 hours. I was instructed to bill the lowest level 99211 and majority of the records I code are Medicare. My question is: If patient comes in and their port is flushed, why not bill a port flush? I realize when another service is performed on the same DOS, it cannot be billed yet I'm trying to find a rhyme or reason for this and how I was trained.

Thanks

dtricia

Guru
Best answers
Port flush with D/C

I have a posted response from an auditor on this question that I had saved- it says that the needle being deaccessed is actually the same needle from Day 1 chemo hook up, and so you cannot bill a flush because another service was provided that day- the drug infusion.
Tricia D

thallahan

Contributor
Best answers
The port flush is part of the service from the original chemotherapy day and is included, it's not a billable separate service. Also, billing procedure code 99211 is not correct. The patient is having their pump disconnected, period.

Trudy Hallahan, CHONC

donn999

Contributor
Best answers
I agree with Trudy.

If your facility connected the pump then the disconnect and flush is bundled into the connection code from two days prior.