Wiki Discontinue of CADD pump

gr8gal61

Guru
Best answers
I have a question that I hope someone can help clarify. Currently a patient comes in to have their CADD pump disconnected, typically within 48 hours. I was instructed to bill the lowest level 99211 and majority of the records I code are Medicare. My question is: If patient comes in and their port is flushed, why not bill a port flush? I realize when another service is performed on the same DOS, it cannot be billed yet I'm trying to find a rhyme or reason for this and how I was trained.

Thanks

Port flush with D/C

I have a posted response from an auditor on this question that I had saved- it says that the needle being deaccessed is actually the same needle from Day 1 chemo hook up, and so you cannot bill a flush because another service was provided that day- the drug infusion.
Tricia D

The port flush is part of the service from the original chemotherapy day and is included, it's not a billable separate service. Also, billing procedure code 99211 is not correct. The patient is having their pump disconnected, period.

Trudy Hallahan, CHONC

I agree with Trudy.

If your facility connected the pump then the disconnect and flush is bundled into the connection code from two days prior.