Wiki Dissecting Extreme Operating Reports

Sonjagirl

Best answers
Has anyone had difficulty learning how to dissect extreme operating reports? :confused: What coding book with answers do you use to assist you?

I've had extensive coding practice/training, but we learned the foundation of every specialty--not dissecting extreme coding operating reports.:eek:

I can remember my first "extreme case"... The patient was a victim of crime. She sustained a gun shot wound to the head. Our Neurosurgeon removed parts of the the skull (to allow for swelling) and placed them in her abdomen (sterile enviroment). At the time, I could not find any articles for such a procedure. We are the only Neurosurgeons in our city so the network was small. It took a couple of days but I finally came up with a series of codes I thought were appropriate. I consulted with my surgeon and he also agreed. Shortly thereafter, I found out there was a Neurosurgery forum. I presented my whole scenario and low and behold...we were correct, with one missed charge. I love extreme coding but I don't know that there is a "one stop shop" for your answers. Work closely with your providers and keep networking! Good Luck~

Last edited:
I pretty much taught myself how to code electrophysiologies. I had a great group of physicians and the head nurse in the cath lab who were really greatful I was interested. We did a lot of give and take with me watching a couple of procedures (with a headset that the physician talked me through what he was doing and allowed me to ask questions as we went), asking questions afterwards, and them letting me vet my coding choices with them. It worked really great because they learned to appreciate me and what I was doing for them as far as trying to get the most allowable payments, and I learned a lot from them about the actual procedures. It was a win-win situation. And, now I am actually a resource to a couple of other EP coders.

Maybe this is an options for you? If not, maybe you could network and find someone willing to help you grow. Good luck!