Wiki Do Coding School's add value or knowledge to a resume?

If I was reviewing someone's resume for a position, yes a school or credited courses in that subject would impress me. I think it shows someone wanted to achieve some experience in a field that they had some interest in. If they completed this schooling, it would show they were dedicated individuals that followed through with something. With that said, I do believe sometimes the school may play a role in my deciding factor. I would wonder if it was remotely by the internet, a place where students are structured in a school setting, and what did they actual receive out of the course. I would then my own foot work and research the programs this person I am interested in hiring attended. I am not sure I agree with what he had to say in his article, but to a degree, I agree some can find beginning jobs in medical fields and go from there on their own. If I was interviewing someone who might have been a cook for years, and had no medical trying to get in the door of my company, then I would ask what motivated them in choosing a medical career. It would have to be a good enough answer to capture my attention and why I should hire someone with no experience opposed to someone with billing experience.

It depends ...

There are many factors that go into my evaluation of a prospective employee's resume. In general I like to see additional education that is career specific. Usually that is a predictor of future success (as is relevant experience). However ...

There is at least one "school" with which I'm familiar that you couldn't pay me to attend. I have been singularly UNimpressed with their graduates over many years. (I've been working since the 1970s so have interacted with more than just a handful in that time span.) Seeing a resume with ONLY the name of such a school, and no other relevant experience or training, raises a little red flag for me. I might give the applicant credit for seeking additional education; I might not hire him/her if I have other applicants whose experience or education is a more reliable predictor of their future success.

It sounds me as if Mr Mays has had experience with graduates of a school such as the one I describe above. In his experience, the graduates of that school have not been served by nor benefited from their "education" - they have no advantage over the applicant who comes in with no experience or additional training. I think it's certainly worth considering his viewpoint.

And if I were just starting out in this field, and I lived where Mr Mays' company is located, I'd certainly try to get an apprenticeship with his firm.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

I think Mr May makes some good points. There is a school I know of that rents space from a major college. When the school calls you they refer to themselves as major college, NOT such and such school AT major college. They also tell you when they call that when you graduate you WILL have three credentials, not you are eligible to test for them, but you will HAVE them. Their brochure has major college name on the front also, but in very little print on the very bottom of the back page it says not affiliated with major college.

Also, I know of a couple people from this school who actually only do data entry, as they really dont know what they are doing. I am sure there are a lot of good schools out there but the person doing the hiring needs to know particulars on the schools in their area, along with the school's reputation and maybe network to see what other's experiences are from their graduates.

Unfortunately some schools give others a bad name. I have actually been told in the past I am not eligible for an interview because I did not go to a coding/billing school. I have an associates degree from a reputable college - although to date myself- my degree is in medical office management and clinical arts, and I have 25+ years experience in a variety of healthcare/billing/coding/management areas. I was told I wasn't "qualified" due to not having attended a coding school. I feel, and a couple of peers with similar experience and education feel we "grew up" in the profession, even without a coding school.

Ok, my 2 cents!

Machelle
CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M

Machelle makes some very good points, as do the others who commented.

I started my career in HIM around the turn of this century. As I left my initial employer (who I'd been with for over 3 years), a long-time HIM Director encouraged me to complete formal education in HIM or coding. Although I held credentials, I lacked the additional credibility education provides. The element of schooling has come up repeatedly in my career.

Several years later, and after having completed the coding piece of my education, I have continued my studies. Although I hold a varied background in HIM, it still beneftis me to seek life-long education--especially at this point.

Remember that coding, billing, HIM and other allied health administration occupations are by there very nature dynamic. Without continued pursuit of educational experiences, we limit ourselves drastically.

Although I'm not commenting on much of Mr. May's article, from a personal standpoint, I always encourage others to obtain creditable education from a reputable institution. You MUST do homework in that area because education is not always created equally. There are many fine schools out there and the best bet is to speak with individuals who are leaders in your area (or elsewhere, for that matter) and see which of these programs they recommend. Hiring officials are another great source for referral.

It's telling that Mr. Mays holds no credentials of his own--as best we can tell.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Wrong turn in Mays' Maze

I speak as an H.I.M. Manager who has had a formal education in the field. I attended a Billing and Coding program which gave me more than the billing and coding knowledge needed to suceed in this field. It was very beneficial for me, especially when employers reviewed my resume. I have been credentialed for 3 years and I don't feel that I would be what I am today if it was not for the formal education that I received. I currently hold a position as Manager of H.I.M.. I run a department for the company I work for. I manage 2 nurses, 2 coders, and have an assistant. I help with staff education in relation to documentation needed for reimbursement. When I look for potential employees, I look to see if they have any type of formal education. Formal education does not cover only Billing and Coding. It helps coders to become proficient and confident in using computer programs, interacting with staff, and gives them the needed respect when interacting with Doctors, Nurses, and other Professional staff.

To put simply, there are some of us who make decisions that affect the company overall, do not agree with Mr. Mays statements.