Wiki Do I need new books every year?

esimonsen

Best answers
Good Morning All-
This may be a dumb question, but do I need to get the updated coding books each year? I passed my CPC exam with the 2016 books, and my employer wanted to know if I needed her to order 2017 books. Would you recommend updating your books every year? I do use Code-X.
Thanks for any advise....
:eek:

Yes you do need new code books for every year there are code changes. Since there have been no ICD revisions since 10/01/2011 there has been no need for new ICD books beyond the 2012 version. That however ends this year. There are approximately 2000 new codes going live 10/01/2016. Codex unfortunately does not contain all the information you need when working with the ICD and CPT codes so a code book for each set is necessary and only the updated books will contain the information needed for the year you are coding in.
ICD-10 CM codes can be updated twice a year now that the freeze is over so be prepared to purchase books for Oct 1 and April 1 implementation if needed.
CPT codes are updated only once per year for January 1 implementation with the exception of the category III codes, which can vary with implementation so you need to watch the AMA website for those.

CPC Exam--Retake

I took the CPC exam in November 2017. Do I need to purchase new books to retake the test in Feb. or March 2018?
Please Help!! :)

G.W., CMA

Last edited: