Wiki Does the HCPCS book have to be from AMA?

nelsong5

Best answers
Can i enter the test with a HCPCS book that is not from the AMA (Saunders, Indetrix or something)?

I need to buy it asap bec i got the test on august 30th.

Also, do i have a free retake if i do not pass the first test?

Thank you!

nelsong5

Last edited by a moderator:
the CPT book is the "only" specified book -CPT® Books (AMA Standard or Professional versions only) no other publisher is allowed.
The ICD-9 and HCPC's are whatever you're familiar with however they CANNOT be "teaching" versions - coder plus - easy coders....etc...
Just the basic books, nothing with added help in them.
and yes, you get a second chance (re-take) at no extra cost if you don't pass the first time BUT, have faith! :) you can do it! Practice, watch your timing, don't spend too long on any one question, answer ALL questions, and I can't stress this enough - ALL the answers are in the books! know the books! the first pages to the last, NOT just the pages with the ICD-9 and CPT codes on them. Know your books and the information it has from the very first face page to the very last blank page, ALL of the pages, know whats on them (can't stress it enough!)
good luck!

nelsong5 - I checked the site - I guess I wouldn't say for sure that that book would be ok for testing. It *might* have a bit more than regular HCPC's books. I'd go with a very basic HCPC's - I use the 2008 EXPERT HCPC's Level II -by INGENIX. That one I can say for certain is allowed when testing :)

Thank you so much Donna, youve been very helpful and informative!

If i pass the test ill be sure to tell you!

I have another questions for you since i can see you know a whole lot about this.

Is it worth buying all 3 practice tests from the AAPC website? I mean, i know they are expensive, but i can afford it as long as it helps me in the real test.

Thank again!

Good things

nelsong5

I never used the tests you can buy online - (they didn't have them when I took my CPC test in 2004). But if I'm not mistaken those tests are "full mock" tests - they aren't 150 questions in the format of the actual test. I'm sure they're helpful though, any practice is good practice! I used the study guides, it had a mock test in the back. The books I have now for CPC-H have mock tests in back, 150 questions much like the exam itself - as well as a "pre-test, post-test and final test on CD. I really like that because you take the pre-test before any extra studying, find the weak area's, study the study guide, take the post-test - see what you learned then take the hard copy, hand written final test. The three tests give you a real good idea where you're at, where you need to go and where you end up! ;)
I'm a firm believer in studying, A LOT! - I like to be prepared first time around!

Contact AAPC directly

nelsong5 ...
At the top of this page on your screen in the dark green AAPC banner is a link called "CONTACT US."
This will give you the 1-800-number as well as the email address to get the official answers to your questions on this (and a variety of other issues).

I believe Donna gave you accurate and good information, but if you want specifics, I think you should ask AAPC directly. Then if you are challenged, you have an official response to rely on, not just someone at the forum.
(No disrespect meant to Donna.)

As for the pre-tests / study guides. I took my test in 2005 and I did use the study guide and the practice test in the back. I also attended a coding "boot camp" which had a number of tests at the end of each chapter, as well as a final practice test. I like Donna's suggestion to take the practice test BEFORE you start going over the study guide so you have an idea of your weak areas. Very good study tactic!

If you're prepared, you should pass. Take a deep breath and keep calm.

Good luck!
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

F Tessa Bartels, CPC

I agree with FTessaBartels (and you weren't disrespective in the least to me!) :)

The best place to get the information is from the website or AAPC direct. The rules maybe have change since I tested. (as a matter of fact they have change) ;)

I agree with you FTessaBartels...thanks!

My apologies, i did not know there were rules on what questions to ask.

Im sorry :(

Good things

nelsong5

This is an open forum

nelsong5 ...
No rules on what questions to ask at all, this is an open forum!

But, if you want to be sure you have an official response, the best place to go is directly to the AAPC national office.

As Donna pointed out, the rules/requirements do change over time. I can tell you what I did in 2005, but that may not be accurate today.

Good luck on your test!

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M