Wiki double coverage

RODRIGUEZL

Best answers
patient is covered thru his employer under BC and is now covered thru Blue Shield Covered California. at the time time of his enrollment he had no other inhsurance. can you tell me which one would be primary?

If I am understanding your question, the patient is still employed full-time and carries employer benefits, right?

In this scenario, the full-time employer insurance would be billed primary and the secondary would be the insurance through California. The only other rule for this is the birthday rule. If his wife is covered through a full-time employer plan and her birthday is prior to his, then her insurance would be primary and his insurance would then fall to secondary.

Hope this helps!!!

If I am understanding your question, the patient is still employed full-time and carries employer benefits, right?

In this scenario, the full-time employer insurance would be billed primary and the secondary would be the insurance through California. The only other rule for this is the birthday rule. If his wife is covered through a full-time employer plan and her birthday is prior to his, then her insurance would be primary and his insurance would then fall to secondary.

Hope this helps!!!

Isn't the birthday rule for establishing primary/secondary coverage for children? If 2 married people are both double-covered due to group coverage for both. Each spouse's own group policy is primary, their spouse's is secondary.

Isn't the birthday rule for establishing primary/secondary coverage for children? If 2 married people are both double-covered due to group coverage for both. Each spouse's own group policy is primary, their spouse's is secondary.

The birthday rule is indeed only for minor children. If you are an adult and you have your own insurance your spouses will never be primary for you.

No. If you are employed with med coverage your own insurance is always primary.
The exception is if you are disabled and on Medicare and your spouse is working and has coverage with a # of employees over 80 (it might be 100) then your spouses coverage is primary.

Dependent coverage follows the "birthday rule".