Wiki DX Code for Court Ordered Urine Drug Screens?

Best answers
I am trying to figure out the best diagnosis code to be using for urine drug screens that are court ordered, such as chain of custody, etc? I don't see anything that really stands out to me, but this is very common, so there has to be a diagnosis code?? Thanks in advance!

Look at Z65.3
The Z65 codes fall under 'social determinants of health' and should only be used as a secondary diagnosis to report factors that contribute to the patient's health status, such as legal situations that affect or exacerbate the problem for which the patient is being evaluated or treated. I don't think this fits the scenario described here.

I think the code Z04.89 - Encounter for examination and observation for other specified reasons - is more appropriate - see the includes note under Z04 which states that this category includes "encounter for examination for medicolegal reasons".

The Z65 codes fall under 'social determinants of health' and should only be used as a secondary diagnosis to report factors that contribute to the patient's health status, such as legal situations that affect or exacerbate the problem for which the patient is being evaluated or treated. I don't think this fits the scenario described here.

I think the code Z04.89 - Encounter for examination and observation for other specified reasons - is more appropriate - see the includes note under Z04 which states that this category includes "encounter for examination for medicolegal reasons".
What do you think about Z02.89?

What do you think about Z02.89?
Z02.89 and Z04.89 are roughly equivalent but Z04.89 is a little less specific - if you feel this is an administrative exam, then go with Z02.89. I would use Z04.89 only because the of the legal reference I cited which doesn't appear in any of the descriptions under Z02. But we're kind of splitting hairs at this point and I think it's unlikely to make a difference one way or another. The payer you're submitting this to may have more guidance on this but sometimes you just have to select what you think is most appropriate and if it causes a problem down the road, deal with it then. You won't find written guidelines for every situation you find in coding! :)

Z02.89 and Z04.89 are roughly equivalent but Z04.89 is a little less specific - if you feel this is an administrative exam, then go with Z02.89. I would use Z04.89 only because the of the legal reference I cited which doesn't appear in any of the descriptions under Z02. But we're kind of splitting hairs at this point and I think it's unlikely to make a difference one way or another. The payer you're submitting this to may have more guidance on this but sometimes you just have to select what you think is most appropriate and if it causes a problem down the road, deal with it then. You won't find written guidelines for every situation you find in coding! :)
And a lot of insurance companies won't pay for court-ordered tests.