Wiki DX code for "Loose Stools" ?

Orthocoderpgu

True Blue
Best answers
I have a question for all you out there in coding land. One of our docs seems to constantly diagnose someone with "loose stools". I have been using 787.99 for change in bowel habits, but I would like a second opinion and see how others might be coding this. Thank you.

Diarrhea is loose/watery stools occuring more than 3x within 24 hr period. In absence of that information and only loose stools indicated on record I code 787.99.

Julie, CPC

Last edited:
Diarrhea is loose/watery stools occuring more than 3x within 24 hr period. In absence of that information and only loose stools indicated on record I code 787.99.

Julie, CPC

Julie, where does it say diarrhea is "more than 3x within a 24 hr period"?? I don't have that in my ICD-9 - it's the Ingenix 2009 expert version.

THANKS! :)

From the 2009 Diagnosis Coders desk reference: 787.91 Diarrhea - loose, copious stools.

I think 787.91 is better (just my opinion)

I have a question for all you out there in coding land. One of our docs seems to constantly diagnose someone with "loose stools". I have been using 787.99 for change in bowel habits, but I would like a second opinion and see how others might be coding this. Thank you.

dmaec,

It's one of those things that stuck in my head from nursing school (we're talking the 1980's - yikes). I'll have to dust off the nursing books and see if I can find the reference.

Julie, CPC