Wiki E/M one week prior to surgery

Lisa Bledsoe

True Blue
Best answers
Ok - so I have a dilema. I have always thought that once the decision for surgery was made, there should be no charge for a "pre-op" visit. Recently my docs have employed a PA who is now doing a "pre-op" visit 3 days to one week prior to surgery and submitting charges. The patients are having a fit because they believe that it is a pre-op visit and should be no charge (insurance is charging them a co-pay). If the surgery is not actually scheduled until after this "pre-op", can we bill for the vist? Even though the decision has already been made? Please help! I need published references if anyone has any links. Thanks!
Lisa

Once the decision for surgery is made, there needs to be the pre-op visit for surgical clearance so it's possible that another visit is needed. I'm wondering here though, if the decision was made one week before surgery, why wasn't the pre-op exam done then? Maybe there wasn't enough time allotted at that visit? If that was the case, I guess I can see it but I wouldn't make a practice of having the patient come back for an additional pre-op visit just to get them back in for another visit.

Ok - so I have a dilema. I have always thought that once the decision for surgery was made, there should be no charge for a "pre-op" visit. Recently my docs have employed a PA who is now doing a "pre-op" visit 3 days to one week prior to surgery and submitting charges. The patients are having a fit because they believe that it is a pre-op visit and should be no charge (insurance is charging them a co-pay). If the surgery is not actually scheduled until after this "pre-op", can we bill for the vist? Even though the decision has already been made? Please help! I need published references if anyone has any links. Thanks!
Lisa

Lisa, I sent you a private message