Wiki Excisional Debridement

Best answers
I have suddenly had to take over for another coder and find myself coding procedures I am not used to coding. I am not sure if I am on the right track or not.

PROCEDURE PERFORMED: 1. Incision and drainage of abdominal wall incisional seroma. 2. Excisional debridement subcutaneous tissue 6 x 19 x 5 cm and wound VAC placement.

An incision was made through the anesthetized area, then electrocautery was used to dissect through the subcutaneous tissue down until the seroma cavity was encountered. There was no evidence of pus. There was hypergranulation tissue present and devitalized subcutaneous fat. I excised this back to viable tissue using the Bovie. The resulting wound was 6 x 19 x 5 cm. Hemostasis was achieved with electrocautery. I copiously irrigated the wound with Pulsavac using 3 L of sterile saline. Once again, I inspected the wound and all the tissue appeared to be viable within the wound and there was no significant amount of hypergranulation tissue remaining. Hemostasis was achieved with minimal use of electrocautery. I then took 2 pieces of black sponge and placed it within the wound cavity side by side. The wound VAC draping was then placed over this and it was connected to VAC suction with a good seal.

The CPT codes I am coming up with are 11042 and 11045 (x5). I am really out of my depth here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I agree with your debridement codes. You can also code the wound vac application (97606 vs. 97608 based on the total sq cm of area covered with the vac). The final code will depend on whether this is a VAC that uses DME or a disposable vac (which is one-time use for the patient). I think it's likely the former, based on the description of placing black sponges and draping and connecting to the VAC suction (usually single-use vacs, you apply and pull a tab to start suction), but the physician should really document that detail or the name of the vac (e.g., KCI wound vac, Veraflo) so you can abstract that detail.

I hope that helps :)

Kim
www.codingmastery.com

Kim, thank you so much! I was concerned I wouldn't get any replies. Thank you for the info on the wound vac. That lets me know what type of questions I need to ask.

Again, I appreciate your help and your time. I look forward to checking out your website.

Gabette