Wiki Facility billing question!

cherylbr

Guru
Best answers
I am billing for a facility. When a surgery is done with a surgeon and a physician assistant do I bill for both the surgeon and the physician assistant or just the surgeon?

Thank you!:confused:

I am billing for a facility. When a surgery is done with a surgeon and a physician assistant do I bill for both the surgeon and the physician assistant or just the surgeon?

Thank you!:confused:

Not sure I understand what you're asking - you say you're billing for the facility, but you're asking if you should bill for the surgeon and/or the PA? If you're billing for the facility, you just bill for the facility, not for the surgeon or the assistant. You will bill the codes to identify the procedures done at the encounter, but since the facility claim only represents the costs to the facility for the services, you would only code for the use of the operating room, and not have any separate charges for the surgeon and/or the PA. The facility claim really has nothing to do with the professional services, other that you are using the same CPT codes to identify what was done. The surgeon and/or attending physician are identified by name and NPI on the UB-04 claim form, but that is informational only, and you are not billing for those providers' work as part of the claim. Hope that makes sense and helps some.