Wiki Failed Heart Cath

Jim Pawloski

True Blue
Best answers
I'm reading a cardiac dictation in which the Cardiologist try to do a heart cath from the right arm. The patient's anatomy had the Innomiate artery coming off the decending part of the thoracic aorta, so he could not get the proper angle to get to the coronaries. I was thinking of 93508 with a modifier of -52, since the tried for two hours using multiple catheter types. The dr. did not go through the femorals because of severe disease. Any ideas on this?

I'm reading a cardiac dictation in which the Cardiologist try to do a heart cath from the right arm. The patient's anatomy had the Innomiate artery coming off the decending part of the thoracic aorta, so he could not get the proper angle to get to the coronaries. I was thinking of 93508 with a modifier of -52, since the tried for two hours using multiple catheter types. The dr. did not go through the femorals because of severe disease. Any ideas on this?

Jim,
I think there are two possibilities:
1) 93508 -52 (or 53 depending on documentation)

2) 36140/36120, 75710 (if injections and interpretations were performed)

HTH :)

Jim,
I think there are two possibilities:
1) 93508 -52 (or 53 depending on documentation)

2) 36140/36120, 75710 (if injections and interpretations were performed)

HTH :)

Hi Danny,
Thanks for you response. The doctor stated that they could not get into the ascending thoracic aorta, so I will eliminate the 93508, and use 36140/75710 for the exam.
Have a great day!
Jim