Wiki Fascia Iliaca Block

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
C
Fascia Iliaca Block

Some providers use the fascia iliaca block as a technique to inject the femoral nerve and lateral cutaneous femoral nerve. If your physician is blocking the femoral nerve with this approach, then look at 64447 Injection, anesthetic agent; femoral nerve, single for single or 64448 Injection, anesthetic agent; femoral nerve, continuous infusion by catheter for continuous infusion. If the physician wasn’t blocking the femoral nerve, but rather, using a lateral femoral cutaneous nerve block, report it with 64450 Injection, anesthetic agent; other peripheral nerve or branch.

NFBarner

Best answers
I need a CPT code for fascia iliaca block for post-op pain (hip ORIF). Has anyone come across this before?

jdrueppel

Expert
Best answers
I would need more information before I could code out the service. Can you post the procedure note of the block placement?

Julie, CPC

marvelh

Expert
Best answers
Some providers use the fascia iliaca block as a technique to inject the femoral nerve and lateral cutaneous femoral nerve. I would check with your physician if he was blocking the femoral nerve with this approach, if so then look at 64447 for single or 64448 for continous infusion.

Here is one link that I found with info on the fascia iliaca block: http://www.usra.ca/upload/UIA/20071102052342/Fascia Iliaca Block.pdf

This is similar to physicians referring to a interscalene or supraclavicular block for a brachial plexus block. They are describing the technique rather than the actual nerve or plexus being injected.

jodee1459

Best answers
fascia iliaca block

You had wrote that some providers use the fascia iliaca block as a technique to inject the femoral nerve and lateral cutaneous femoral nerve. What code would you use if the doctor wasnt blocking the femoral nerve.

thank you

jodi

Best answers
Should NOT use 64447, which is for injection of the femoral nerve, not the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve block would be reported with 64450.