Wiki FNA vs Puncture aspiration

SharL

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Can anyone tell me what the significant difference is between code 10022 FNA and 19000 puncture aspiration of cyst of breast? Both are aspirating fluid.

SL

FNA vs puncture

Can anyone tell me what the significant difference is between code 10022 FNA and 19000 puncture aspiration of cyst of breast? Both are aspirating fluid.

SL

I would say it's the size of the needle. For an FNA the needle size has to be (I can't remember for sure), I believe 22 or less? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. All this should be documented in the procedure note.

FNA vs Aspiration

Thanks for the input ! I was thinking needle size also, but can't find any specific reference to the needle size. Are both percutaneous ? The dicated reports for cyst aspirations / FNA's basically read the same. .

Fna

I found my documentation finally that we used for FNA, this is what it says:

Fine needle aspiration (FNA) is a percutaneous (through the skin) procedure that uses a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe to sample fluid from a breast cyst or remove clusters of cells from a solid mass. With FNA, the cellular material taken from the breast is usually sent to the pathology laboratory for analysis. The needle used during FNA is smaller than a needle that is normally used to draw blood. If the radiologist or surgeon just drains fluid from a cyst and does not send the sample to the pathology laboratory for analysis, the procedure is simply called cyst aspiration.

Does this help?

FNA vs aspiration

Thanks ! you're the best for trying to help me sort this out. I reviewed the code guideline descriptions in the CDR also. They use 21 gauge needle here for some what they call "Fine needle" aspirations, and I agree that the FNA is more for pathology sampling whereas the punture aspiration of cyst is meant to reduce the size of a fluid-filled cyst, and/or take cells/tissue...yet, that sample is also sent to pathology here in the hospital setting. I am going to be closely reviewing the reports to see what the techniques are; hopefully that will help.