Wiki Follow-up Laboratory Testing for Condition that is now resolved

jewhipke

Best answers
Good morning everyone!
I need help, please, with coding of a follow-up laboratory testing, CPT 86318, on a patient that previously had a positive H. pylori. The provider had the patient come in for follow-up and did another H. pylori laboratory test.

Since the condition is now resolved, I should not attach H. pylori dx to the laboratory test since the condition no longer exists, correct?

I don't know what dx code I need to attach to this test that is an acceptable principal dx.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Resolved condition????

Hi,
How do you know that the condition is resolved? Without the provider stating that the patient's condition - H Pylori has been "cured" or "resolved" you will need to code it as the provider ordered it. I bet that the provider is waiting for this new set of results to give the patient a "clean bill of health" or unfortunately prolong treatment.

However, if you do have documentation from the provider stating that the condition is resolved and they did order the laboratory test with the H Pylori diagnosis code, I wouldn't have a problem querying the provider requesting an addendum to the lab order be done ..... requesting them to assign an alternative diagnosis/screening code...maybe even a personal history code..... whatever they feel satisfies the "current" need for this laboratory test being done.
Thanks,
Dana Chock, CPC, CCA, CANPC, CHONC
Anesthesia, Pathology, and Laboratory Coder